sports men's soccer

Former Indiana men’s soccer forward Will Bruin retires from MLS after 13 seasons

spwillbruin021724.jpg

Former Indiana men’s soccer forward Will Bruin is retiring after a 13-year career in Major League Soccer he announced via social media. 

During his time in Bloomington, Bruin scored 33 goals and provided nine assists in three years. He made an immediate impact with Indiana, scoring 15 goals in his first two seasons. Bruin went on to one-up himself his junior year, scoring 18 goals. He was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year and was selected to the All-Big Ten first team in 2010. 

Bruin was drafted No. 11 overall in the 2011 MLS Super Draft by the Houston Dynamo, where he tallied 57 goals and 22 assists in six seasons. The St. Louis native is the third all-time leading goal scorer for the club in regular season play, notching 50 goals in 178 appearances. 

After his time with the Dynamo, Bruin was traded to the Seattle Sounders in 2017. He made 154 appearances in six seasons with Seattle, scoring 32 goals and providing 14 assists. Bruin won two trophies as a member of the Sounders, lifting the 2019 MLS Cup and 2022 CONCACAF Champions League titles. 

Bruin joined Austin FC in 2023 as a free agent, netting three goals in 23 appearances in his last season as a pro. He finished his career with 329 MLS regular season appearances and 80 goals. Bruin earned two caps with the United States Men’s National Team in 2013. 

Bruin hinted at staying within the soccer world in his retirement post.  

“Soccer has given my family and I so much, and I am excited to give back to the game in whatever comes next.” 

Follow reporters Leo Paes (@Leordpaes) and Jovanni Salazar (@jio_duz_it) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.