arts community events iu auditorium

IU Chinese Students and Scholars Association to host Chinese New Year Gala Feb. 11

entchinesenygala020824.jpg

The IU Chinese Students and Scholars Association (IUCSSA) will be hosting a Chinese New Year Gala at 7 p.m. Feb. 11 in the IU Auditorium.  

The theme for the event is “Dragon Brings Fortune, Together We Paint the New Spring” and will provide a buffet-style dinner with traditional Chinese cuisine, various performances of Chinese cultural arts and interactive activities for guests. IUCSSA will also host a raffle and hand out  snack gift bags for those who attend.  

Chinese New Year marks the beginning of the year for the traditional lunar calendar, which has origins to the beginning of Chinese civilization — it’s one of the most important festivals in Chinese culture. According to the lunar calendar, the second new moon after the winter solstice marks the new year. In China, the celebration is recognized as a public holiday for seven days.  

The Chinese Zodiac, based off the lunar calendar, runs on a 12-year rotation cycle, each year represented by an animal. 2024 is the year of the dragon.  

According to their beINvolved page, the Chinese Students and Scholars Association has a mission of building a community of Chinese students, scholars and promoting Chinese culture. They serve to create a “second home” for students from China and to create an environment which fosters their success.  

The event, which will share Chinese culture with the Indiana University and Bloomington area, is non-ticketed and free for all to attend.