city bloomington

Bloomington transit switches to new tracking app for local buses

btowntransit021524.jpeg

Bloomington Transit switched from tracking platform DoubleMap to a new live tracking app SPOT ETA on Jan. 22.  

According to a Bloomington Transit press release, the new app is available in the App Store and Google Play Store for mobile phones by searching ETA SPOT or SPOT. A desktop version is also available. 

According to Indiana Public Media, Shelley Strimaitis, planning and special projects manager for Bloomington Transit, is confident in the new app’s abilities in key areas for live bus tracking.  

The SPOT app allows people to click on each bus stop to reveal the next expected arrival time of the bus based on live tracking. Additionally, it shows the full schedule for arrival times throughout the day, allows the user to pick which lines are shown and favorite bus stops. 

Due to this upgrade, DoubleMap no longer has live bus tracking in Bloomington.  

IU buses will not be tracked using the SPOT app, as they had also stopped using DoubleMap .  

According to the press release, Bloomington Transit is working out system bugs and asks people to be patient as they improve the app. 

This upgrade is intended to improve the riding experience for those who use the Bloomington bus system, according to the press release.