city business & economy

Switchyard Pizza Kitchen and Brewing closes Sunday

caswitchyard011424

Switchyard Pizza Kitchen and Brewing closes Sunday, Jan. 14 after over five years of business. The kitchen and brewery announced their closure on their Facebook and Instagram accounts Saturday, inviting "Switchyardigans” to come in one last time for a pint or a slice and to share a moment with staff.  

Switchyard Brewing Company, established in 2014 by co-founders Kurtis Cummings and Michael Korus, opened their 419 N. Walnut St. taproom on May 29, 2018. The pizza kitchen and brewery was known for its on-site brewed beer, themed trivia nights, annual "Harvest Hootenanny” block party and other interactive events such as yoga and “paint your pet.” The space was kid-friendly and allowed guests to bring their pets for patio seating.  

Switchyard Pizza Kitchen and Brewery believed beer to “be a catalyst for positive change,” hosting a neighborhood clean-up for Earth Day in 2021, providing volunteers with “the gear and beer.” They also gave Switchyard beer vouchers to those who donated blood in June of 2018 when they said there was a critical need and they attended the “Enough is Enough” peaceful protest in June 2020 during Black Lives Matter demonstrations.  

“While not the ending we envisioned, we’re proud of our impact on the community we’ve served. Your support and shared moments have been our greatest joy. As we turn to a new chapter, we carry the friendships and joy we’ve found here,” Switchyard posted on their Facebook when announcing their closure.  

Any recently purchased gift cards can be refunded beginning Monday, Jan. 15 by filling out a form on their website.