OPINION: This week’s hot takes

ophottakes022823-illo

Maria Amanda Irias: Why is it socially acceptable to grunt at the gym? Some people — mostly men — think it’s ok to grunt while they lift weights, but it's not. It's so unnecessary to make noises while you exercise. I don’t care how much of a “gym bro” you think you are, grunting should be unacceptable. Plus, if you have the need to grunt because the weights you’re lifting are that heavy, then maybe you should do a couple pounds less. You’re just straining your muscles. The need to grunt is a sign you’re lifting too much, so fix it and don’t make us listen to your struggles. 

Leila Faraday: I have strong distrust for people who wear ankle socks, no-show socks, or worse — no socks during the winter months. Find some appropriate length crew socks that will actually cover your ankles from wind. 

Samantha Camire: I will never call Twitter X. Elon Musk’s rebranding of the app not only makes no sense, but was genuinely a terrible business decision. Changing the universally-known app’s name, along with replacing the iconic bird icon, alienated and confused users. 

Faith Badgley: Sour candies are hardly ever sour and I’m always left disappointed. The only really sour candy I can think of are Warhead Extremes. 

Caitlyn Kulczycki: Snow is so much better than rain or 100-degree days. I would much rather have a day that's cold and snowy and put on a scarf, as opposed to rain where you get all wet or heat where you're just overheating and sweaty and there’s nothing you can do about it. Snowy days are superior to all other weather. (I’m a total winter weather person if you can’t tell.) 

Erin Stafford: Diet soda is a pointless alternative to sugary, carbonated drinks. The artificial sweeteners in diet soda have been linked to gut irritation and the development of Type 2 diabetes. If you’re going to drink soda at all, you might as well just drink regular soda, seeing as it tastes better and you know what you’re putting into your body. If you really want to drink something with carbonation that’s better for your body, try a prebiotic soda like Olipop.  

Danny William: I really don’t get the hype for the new “Ted” show. I watched the pilot with my friends, and I don’t think I laughed once. I thought the jokes were decent enough, but not to the point that I did anything more intense than blowing air out of my nose. The biggest praise I have is the CGI for Ted is adorable. If you want real comedy, revisit 1993’s “Freaked,” which apparently made less than $30,000 at the box office. Now that’s comedy — I promise I have good taste. 

Joey Sills: The only Oscars “Barbie” really deserves to win are best production design and best costume design. It’s a great and fun movie that I really enjoyed! But it’s nowhere near the best of the year nor are any of its aspects — screenplay, acting, directing, etc. — groundbreaking enough to be considered for any of their respective categories. Which is okay, they don’t need to be. But the discourse surrounding its alleged “snubs” are going so far as invalidating the achievements of other female filmmakers, and it just doesn’t need to be that deep. 

Jack Davis: We should show more love to Groundhogs' Day and groundhogs in general. Many see them as a nuisance, but they’re adorable creatures that benefit the ecosystem. At my mom's, we have groundhogs underneath a nearby shed, and we love seeing them pop up every spring. That brings me to the often-overlooked holiday, Groundhog Day, which should be more celebrated than it currently is.  

Isabella Vesperini: Everyone should add more stickers to their laptops. It always disappoints me when I look at someone’s laptop and it’s completely blank. Laptop stickers are fun to look at and can serve as a conversation starter, not to mention how interesting and diverse they can be. The anti-laptop sticker people don’t get how much the stickers elevate their laptop look. 

Ellie Willhite: We’re entering the doomsday era for streaming services. Tiers of subscriptions, some with ads, for upwards of $10 a month? Banning password sharing? Not to mention you’ve got to buy into a handful just to get a tv and film catalogue with somewhat comprehensive range. I see more and more consumers taking off their rose-colored glasses and expressing greater frustration with the current state of media distribution — and companies certainly aren’t helping themselves with their bulldozing, money-hungry attitudes. Everyone, be a part of the revolution, cancel some subscriptions, and treat yourself to a chicken tender basket and bevvy with your newly freed capital!