city bloomington

Monroe County Public Library Southwest Branch temporarily closed due to water damage

Camcpl012224.jpg

The Southwest Branch of the Monroe County Library will be temporarily closed until further notice due to flooding.  

The Monroe County Public Library issued an update Jan. 15 via Facebook stating its Southwest Branch was experiencing flooding after one of the exhaust vents froze overnight, causing a significant amount of water to unexpectedly flow across roughly one-third of the branch. 

The water inflicted damage to the program lobby, program room, teen space, the children's space and the adult print area. The repairs will take around three to four weeks, according to the MCPL’s update on Jan. 17. 

The library requested residents to use the other branches instead: the Downtown Library and the Ellettsville Branch — as well as the Bookmobile collections, for browsing and placing any holds. Those with existing holds at the Southwest Branch are asked to modify their pickup location through the library's website or contact the library directly to redirect them to alternative pickup points.  

MCPL said they may reschedule some Southwest Branch programs at either one of the other two locations. Library patrons can contact the library or check the calendar for program updates.