campus administration

IU Chief Health Officer Aaron Carroll to become president, CEO of AcademyHealth

caaroncaroll012324.tiff

Indiana University Chief Health Officer Aaron Carroll will step down from his role at IU on March 18 to become president and CEO of AcademyHealth.  

AcademyHealth is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the improvement of the modern health system through research and data, according to its website. They host conferences and events meant to highlight new innovations in health research and analyze the current state of healthcare policy. They also work with researchers, policymakers and healthcare providers across the country to apply research to modern practice and real-world situations. 

Carroll is a distinguished professor in the IU School of Medicine and the associate dean for research mentoring. He is also the director of the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Comparative Effectiveness Research at the school of medicine.  

He received his B.A. in chemistry from Amherst College and his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. He also earned his M.S. from the University of Washington where he was named a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar. In his post-academic career, Carroll previously worked at the Regenstrief Institute where he was the vice president of faculty development.  

His research centers on information technology to enhance decision analysis, pediatric healthcare and many areas of health policy. He has also written multiple books and frequently contributes to the New York Times, as well as co-editing the blog The Incidental Economist.  

“I am immensely grateful to Dr. Carroll for his extraordinary service to Indiana University and, most importantly, for his determined focus on the well-being of our students, faculty and staff.” IU President Pamela Whitten said in the release.  

The news release did not announce who will be taking over as Chief Health Officer in Carroll’s absence.