sports women's basketball

No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball’s Holmes named finalist for 2024 Lisa Leslie Award

spiuwbbholmes012624.jpeg

Graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes was named one of 10 finalists for the 2024 Lisa Leslie Award, according to a release from the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association.

Friday marks Holmes’ third consecutive season being a Top 10 selection for the award while being a top five finalist in 2022-23. 

Holmes leads No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball in scoring, averaging 19.9 points per game. She averages 7.2 rebounds per contest while shooting 67.6% from the floor — the best in the Big Ten. 

The Gorham, Maine, native is 91 points shy of becoming Indiana women’s basketball’s all-time leading scorer — a spot held by Tyra Buss with 2,364 points. Holmes has scored at least 10 points in 17 of Indiana’s 18 games this season, notching a team-high four double-doubles. 

Holmes and the Hoosiers currently hold a 16-2 overall record and a 7-1 conference mark — in a three-way tie for first.  

Indiana will return to the court 2 p.m. Sunday against Northwestern before embarking on a two-game road trip against Maryland on Jan. 31 and No. 12 Ohio State on Feb. 4. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.