Indiana football snags James Madison’s leading receiver, 3 others in transfer portal

spiufbjmutransfer010423.jpg

Indiana football head coach Curt Cignetti continues to pull talent from his past destination, James Madison University. 

Receiver Elijah Sarratt, who led the Dukes with 82 receptions for 1,191 yards last season, announced his commitment to Indiana on Thursday night via X, formerly known as Twitter. 

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound Sarratt finished second on James Madison in touchdown catches with eight and added another score on the ground, tying him for the team lead in total touchdowns. 

A native of Stafford, Virginia, Sarratt was a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) Freshman All-American at Saint Francis University in 2022 before transferring to James Madison, where he earned first-team All-Sun Belt conference this past season. 

Sarratt has two years of eligibility remaining and will join a depth chart littered with bodies at receiver, headlined by redshirt junior Donaven McCulley, who finished as Indiana’s leading pass catcher with 48 receptions for 644 yards and six touchdowns in 2023. 

Landing Sarratt put the bow on an eventful night for Cignetti, who secured three other commitments Thursday. 

Indiana added a pair of safeties from Old Dominion University, as Shawn Asbury II and Terry Jones each chose the Hoosiers. 

Asbury, who stands at 5-foot-9, 192 pounds, started his career at Boston College before transferring to the Monarchs for the 2022 season. In 2023, Asbury finished fourth on Old Dominion with 93 tackles while adding six tackles for loss and an interception. He has two years of eligibility left. 

The 6-foot-1, 187-pound Jones one-upped Asbury, finishing as the Monarchs’ third-leading tackler with 107, four of which came behind the line of scrimmage. The Baltimore, Maryland, native has one year of eligibility remaining. 

Asbury and Jones, who played in 12 games apiece, were each named Honorable Mention All-Sun Belt for their efforts this past season. 

Indiana, which lost starting safeties Louis Moore and Phillip Dunnam to the transfer portal after firing head coach Tom Allen on Nov. 26, appears to have found viable replacements. 

But the Hoosiers still weren’t done. 

Former University of North Carolina running back Elijah Green announced via X he’ll be bringing his talents to Bloomington, joining a deep running back room that includes last year’s leading rusher, Trent Howland, and three other transfers. 

Green had a productive 2022 campaign with 131 carries for 558 yards and eight touchdowns in 14 games, but he made only five appearances in 2023 as others bypassed his spot in the pecking order. 

Now, Green eyes a return to his prior level of work under Cignetti – while Sarratt, Asbury and Jones look to translate their Sun Belt production into the Big Ten this fall. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.