sports club hockey

Indiana club hockey takes it outside at Michigan with an outdoor win

spiuhockeyrecap012124.jpg

Indiana club hockey secured two wins Jan. 19 and 20 at the University of Michigan, one during a unique outdoor game at the Clark Park rink in Detroit. 

The Hoosiers’ outdoor game on Jan. 19 took place with temperatures as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The match was tied 5-5 at the end of regulation, so the teams played overtime until sophomore defenseman Ray Meiers scored the winning goal.

Indiana junior forward Andrew Chambers scored the first goal of the night five minutes into the game, followed by a goal from Michigan senior forward Maanas Sharma two minutes later. 

Fellow junior forward and club president Drew Micheli scored later in the first period, securing Indiana’s 2-1 lead. Chambers increased the lead to 3-1 with his second goal of the game. 

Michigan senior forward Ryan Williams found the back of the net, helping the Wolverines trim their deficit with less than two minutes left in the period. The first frame ended 3-2. 

The second period began with Michigan scoring on a power play, bringing the teams to a 3-3 tie. Indiana freshman winger Ben Rosenberg then scored on an assist from junior forward Aidan Simoneau, putting the Hoosiers up 4-3. 

Michigan tied it back up with a rebound goal seven minutes into the second period. With less than four minutes left in the period, Indiana sophomore forward Nicholas Castracane took back the Hoosier lead. Michigan responded with another goal, tying the game 5-5. 

The would-be-final 20 minutes of the game were scoreless. The Hoosiers and Wolverines went into three-on-three overtime, where Meiers took the final goal.

On Jan. 20, the Hoosiers took a comfortable win against Michigan at Arctic Coliseum in Chelsea, Michigan, with a final score of 6-2. 

The officials sent Castracane to the box five minutes into the game for an unidentified penalty following a faceoff, putting Michigan on the power play early on. 

Michigan fifth-year senior Sebastian Culver scored off the power play, giving the Wolverines a brief lead. 

Castracane, out of the box with renewed energy, took the puck up the ice and scored for the Hoosiers, tying the game. Indiana freshman forward Ryan Berke secured the lead shortly thereafter. 

Sophomore winger Luke Slaven scored off a backdoor pass from Castracane late into the first frame, which brought the score to 3-1 at the end of the period. Micheli scored halfway into the second frame, putting the Hoosiers’ lead at three. 

In the second ten minutes of the second period, Indiana sent two players to the bench on minor penalties, giving Michigan a brief two-man advantage. Indiana managed to kill the advantage and went on the power play shortly after when Michigan sophomore defenseman Avelo Cohen tore Castracane down to the ice. 

Indiana junior forward Will Gerami scored on the power play, putting the score at 5-1. Michigan managed to win one back with a goal from junior forward Emmett Mitchell. The second period ended 5-2. 

Simoneau scored Indiana’s last goal of the game, the final score being 6-2. 

Amid the weekend’s success, junior forward Ithan DeLorenzo hit 100 career points Jan. 20. 

Indiana club hockey will play a home-and-away series against the University of Dayton on Jan. 26 at home rink Frank Southern Ice Arena and Jan. 27 at Dayton.

Follow reporter Molly Gregory (@mollygregory22) for updates throughout the Indiana club hockey season.