OPINION: This week's hot takes

ophottakes022823-illo

Jack Davis: I don’t want to see everyone’s Spotify Wrapped. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-Spotify Wrapped; I think it is a neat idea, and I personally enjoy seeing mine. But if I want to see yours, I’ll ask you to show me. When it comes out, it feels like every single story on Instagram is people's Spotify Wrapped. 

Leila Faraday: If I am sleepy, I will be sleeping. I think I have fallen asleep during nearly every single movie I have viewed in theaters over the past 10 years.  

Isabella Vesperini: Bundling up in hats, gloves and scarves shouldn’t be embarrassing. I always feel a constant need to look presentable in public, and I think wearing all those layers makes me look ridiculous when so many other people look fashionable simply in jeans or a light jacket. But we shouldn’t feel embarrassed! Ultimately, I'd rather be comfortable and warm but look semi-ridiculous than be suffering in the cold and hating every step I take outside, but in a potentially fashionable manner. 

Natalie Fitzgibbons: You know you have succeeded in college when you and your roommates make it on Barstool for having a tree fall on your car and almost on your house. 

Gentry Keener: White chocolate peppermint is the best holiday flavor. I don’t even love peppermint that much, but a little white chocolate candy cane bar is the best thing to ever grace this planet. Way better than gingerbread or mocha or anything like that.   

Danny William: Santa Claus is far too prevalent. Sure, I like his jovial mythical status, but why must he be everywhere? Anecdotally, nearly every single Christmas movie meant for children has Santa Claus somewhere in it. Even if you wanted to prevent your children from believing in Santa, it’d be impossible because of his sheer cultural dominance. And for what? Just to steal your cookies and sneak down your chimney in a bizarre expression of his horrific surveillance state? Not for me. Don’t even get me started on Elf on the Shelf. 

Jared Quigg: “Lover” by Taylor Swift is a Christmas song, and it’s the best one of all time. Mention of Christmas lights has cemented its place in the Christmas canon, and it’s far better than every Christian hymn and pop song. The worst Christmas song, if you’re curious, is “Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney. Every genius flops sometimes – it's just a shame he flopped so hard.  

Joey Sills: “Wonderful Christmastime” by Paul McCartney is a perfectly fine Christmas song, I’m tired of Scrooges who hate fun saying it’s bad. It’s certainly no “Happy Xmas (War is Over),” and it’s definitely not as good as Otis Redding’s rendition of “Merry Christmas Baby,” but it’s for sure better than a lot of other attempts at the genre out there (including “Last Christmas” by Wham!). 

Jacob Lubarsky: Christmas Eve is a far superior holiday than Christmas Day. The anticipation of Christmas Day is far more thrilling than the day itself. I think this phenomenon goes far beyond Christmas alone — the anticipation for most events is far more exciting than the event itself. 

Faith Badgley: Hallmark Christmas movies are good. It’s the same plot every time and you know the ending before it even starts but each one has me hooked every time. I don’t care if you consider them weird or boring, you’re wrong.  

Prakriti Khurana: I believe that hot chocolate is overhyped. I mean I do like it, but I think it’s more like a dessert than a drink on the go.