INSTANT RECAP: Gutsy comeback ekes Indiana men’s basketball past Morehead State 69-68

spiubbinstant121923.jpg

Coming off back-to-back losses, Indiana men’s basketball needed to get back on track Tuesday night against Morehead State University. A crushing loss looked likely throughout, but a 20-4 run to close out the game pushed the Hoosiers past the Eagles 69-68. 

The Hoosiers had started three of their last four games in a dominant, high-energy fashion, but Tuesday night they trudged onto the court. Indiana missed its first four field goals and, four minutes in, trailed 8-4.  

Needing an offensive spark, the Hoosier bench came through. Following just 3 points from the bench unit in Indiana’s 75-71 loss to No. 2 Kansas University, the second stringers started strongly against the Eagles. Sophomore forward Kaleb Banks put in a layup, then senior forward Anthony Walker scored the Hoosiers’ next 8 points with constant slashes at the rim. 

However, Morehead State persisted. With a focused effort to shoot from beyond the arc and several second-chance opportunities, the Eagles not only kept up, but controlled the pace altogether. With seven minutes left in the first half, Indiana trailed 23-21. 

The two sides employed contrasting play styles and it showed. Indiana concentrated on physical play inside the paint and took advantage by drawing nine fouls in the first 11 minutes, threatening a Morehead State team that heavily relied on its starting lineup. Contrastingly, the Eagles launched from 3-point land, making 5-of-18 in the first frame. 

Indiana’s lulls continued. A five minute 27 second scoring drought late in the half allowed Morehead State to grab an 11-point lead and momentum. The Hoosiers’ struggles were epitomized by a missed dunk by sophomore center Kel’el Ware off a lob pass. 

Senior guard Trey Galloway broke the cold stretch with back-to-back layups and looked to give Indiana optimism heading into halftime, but it quickly vanished. After an Eagles bucket, Galloway had his pocket picked, leading to a breakaway dunk right before the buzzer and giving Morehead State a 36-25 lead. 

In desperate need of a strong start second-half start, Indiana delivered. Ware — who was held scoreless in the first frame — scored the Hoosiers’ first 8 points out of the break to help cut the deficit to 4 points just over two minutes in. 

Another Indiana push seemed imminent, but instead Morehead State responded. Eagles graduate guard Jordan Lathon sunk his third 3-pointer of the second half just six minutes into the frame to boost their lead back to 11 points. 

The Hoosiers couldn’t make any progress chipping at the deficit and Lathon continued his red-hot shooting. He converted a rare 4-point play to give Morehead State a game-high 15-point lead with 9:29 remaining in the game. 

With its back against the wall, Indiana started another surge. A 13-0 run brought the Hoosiers within 2 points while the Eagles couldn’t get a bucket to fall. 

Galloway drained a 3-pointer to give Indiana a 65-64 lead with just over three minutes remaining, its first lead since the 11:26 mark of the first half. After an Indiana free throw, Morehead State broke its six minute-plus long scoring drought to knot the game at 66 all with two minutes to go. 

Walker made a pair of free throws and freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako split two to put the Hoosiers up 69-66 — their largest lead of the game. However, Morehead State scored and Indiana sophomore forward Malik Reneau missed two free throws with 27 seconds left, giving the Eagles a chance to take the lead. 

Lathon dribbled the clock out on the perimeter and tried to take advantage when Reneau switched onto him, but Reneau blocked his step back jumper right before the buzzer and the Hoosiers survived. 

After Lathon scored 30 points in just over 30 minutes of game time, the Hoosiers held him scoreless the remainder of the game. Walker led Indiana with 18 points off the bench, tying his career high. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.