INSTANT RECAP: Indiana men’s basketball tops Kennesaw State 100-87 in non-conference finale

spiubbinstant122923.jpeg

Behind a career-high 34 points from sophomore forward Malik Reneau, Indiana men’s basketball defeated Kennesaw State University 100-87 Friday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in the Hoosiers’ non-conference finale and final game of 2023. 

Against an Owls side that plays among the fastest in the nation, the Hoosiers matched the rapid tempo early on. Indiana freshman forward Mackenzie Mgbako drained three triples less than three minutes into the game. 

Sparked by Mgbako’s fourth make from distance, the Hoosiers rattled off a 7-0 run and took an 18-8 lead about five minutes into the contest. In place of sophomore center Kel’el Ware — who was sidelined Friday night with an illness — junior forward Payton Sparks established his presence on both ends of the floor. 

Sparks swatted a pair of shots on back-to-back possessions just before the under-16-minute media timeout. Despite maintaining a comfortable lead in the early segments of the game, Kennesaw State’s volatile offense found its form as the half wore on. 

The Owls were content with quick possessions resulting in 3-point attempts and finished the first period a combined nine-of-18 from range. Indiana’s offense continued to produce one of its most explosive halves of the season to date, with Mgbako and Reneau primarily leading the charge. 

But with under five minutes remaining in the period, the Owls squelched a 10-point deficit, and Kennesaw State senior guard Terrell Burden’s 3-pointer with 1:54 to go cut Indiana’s lead to just 4. 

Burden converted a quick layup to pull the Owls within a bucket, but Indiana was able to weather the storm and head into the half leading 50-46. 

With tensions in Assembly Hall rising amid Kennesaw State’s feisty efforts, Sparks jolted the Hoosier faithful with an emphatic put back slam to open the scoring in the second half. As the rest of Indiana’s lineup struggled to find consistent offense, Sparks became a go-to option. 

The 6-foot-9 big man notched five points in the first few minutes, displaying an impressive ability to utilize his size to create favorable looks near the basket. However, as they did in the first half, the Owls refused to go away. 

Kennesaw State knotted the score at 62 after a pair of free throws from sophomore guard Simeon Cottle. Shortly after, Cottle drained a triple to give the Owls a 65-64 advantage — their first lead of the night. 

Reneau continued to take advantage of the size disparity down low and notched a bucket off the glass with just over 12 minutes remaining to regain the lead for Indiana. After a brief scare from the Owls, Indiana started to regain some control. 

The Hoosiers sprinted to a 7-0 run to go up 81-71 after consecutive jumpers from senior forward Anthony Walker. Kennesaw State junior guard Jusaun Holt, who led the Owls with 19 points with just under six minutes to go, received his fifth foul to foul out of the game. 

Senior guard Trey Galloway knocked down a deep three to put Indiana up 13 points with a little under five minutes remaining, and the Hoosiers never looked back. Indiana cruised to a comfortable victory with six separate players scoring in double figures. 

With Friday night’s victory, the Hoosiers will carry a 10-3 record into the New Year. On Jan. 3, Indiana travels to Lincoln, Nebraska to take on the Cornhuskers. Tip is set for 9 p.m. and viewing will be available on Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.