city

City of Bloomington redesigns Miller-Showers Park monolith after backlash

cagateway113023.jpg

The City of Bloomington announced Thursday the Bicentennial Gateway Project at Miller-Showers Park has been redesigned with feedback that was collected through 2023. 

The City of Bloomington rescheduled site improvements for the construction of the project from fall 2023 to the spring of 2024, according to a City of Bloomington press release. The change in plans comes after the original structure, described as a monolith by some members of the public, faced criticism from Bloomington residents. Some expressed disappointment at the lack of communication between the city’s parks and recreation department and the public.  

The new concept includes stacked limestone approximately 10 ft tall with letters that spell out “Bloomington” mounted on it. However, this concept is not final. The city will collect additional public feedback and suggestions for design updates through Dec. 15. 

The gateway was originally planned to be 40 feet tall with LED lights illuminating “Bloomington” to welcome people to the city, according to a City of Bloomington press release. 

The project will be installed on the north side of Miller-Showers Park between College Avenue, Walnut Street and the Old State Road 37 crossover. According to the announcement, the city has set aside $1.25 million for the project through its Bicentennial Bond. 

Along with the new gateway, the city will add new sidewalks, curb ramps, reconstructed pedestrian refuge, local limestone blocks, native plants and native trees in the area. 

People can give feedback on the project through a form, by emailing the Parks and Recreation department at parks@bloomington.in.gov or calling them at 812-349-3700.