OPINION: This week’s hot takes

ophottakes022823-illo

Isabella Vesperini: It is completely acceptable to listen to Christmas music in November. The holiday season isn’t nearly long enough. Halloween hits, and then November and December FLY BY. And with how busy I am with school, the fact that it’s the holiday season never settles in. I feel like I can’t fully enjoy it because I’m packed with so many other things. Listening to Christmas music in November gives the holiday season more justice and helps me enjoy the time of year more. 

Joey Sills: Most energy drinks are total dog water. The only ones I can sort of stand are the Java Monsters or the Starbucks-branded ones. But even those are usually too heavy and too sweet. I understand it’s not up everyone’s alley, but if you really need caffeine that badly, just drink a coffee. It’s a million times better for you and, once you’ve grown up, much better tasting too! 

Leila Faraday: In a world where I cannot rely on my coffee to be high quality and purely, independently delicious, I have no shame in adding obnoxious amounts of milk or creamer that spark my peers to say, “would you like some coffee with your milk?”  

Danny William: “Monsters vs. Aliens” is unironically a masterpiece. I do not care what any of you say. Stephen Colbert is the president – that is all. 

Jared Quigg: Despite what Selena Gomez said about the inability of a post to make a difference in the world, when you have a platform as big as hers, a post can have a huge impact. On its own a post is nothing, but when you have a voice that big you can inspire people to action, and you have a responsibility to do so. 

Natalie Fitzgibbons: Take advantage of school breaks and time off of work and go travel. It doesn’t have to be a huge trip; it could be a tiny road trip. My point is: time is short and there’s no use in waiting around. If we wait around, we may miss the opportunity altogether. 

Gentry Keener: Holiday flavors are better than fall flavors. This applies to the popular flavors in general, but also specifically the Starbucks seasonal menus. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is way overrated, and it doesn’t even taste like pumpkin. However, the Sugar Cookie Latte and the Peppermint Mocha are amazing, and I would drink them every day if it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg. In general, I would rather eat peppermint flavored things or sugar cookie flavored things rather than pumpkin spice or apple.  

Prakriti Khurana:Die Hard” is one of the best Christmas movies of all time. 

Jack Davis: I dislike every part of Thanksgiving besides the food. Family gatherings bring an intense amount of drama that makes the whole time stressful and unenjoyable. To be completely honest, traditional Thanksgiving food is not even amazing, so my family always makes nontraditional Thanksgiving food instead. 

Faith Badgley: Cats are superior to dogs. They’re so much easier to take care of, you don’t have to walk or entertain them if you don’t want to. Many say dogs are more fun, but cats can be fun too. They play fetch and run around just as dogs do. Cats are just overall way better than dogs. 

Jacob Lubarsky: Everyone, children and adults alike, should know how to play chess. The game assists a player’s cognitive ability: emphasizing critical thinking, planning and problem solving. There are a series of other positive effects of playing chess, and the cognitive skills chess can provide are as important as some of the typical school subjects we are introduced to at a young age. Plus, the game is fun!