city crime & courts bloomington

UPDATED: Man receives guilty verdict for murder hit list

Crime Filler

Dongwook Ko, former Bloomington resident, received a guilty verdict this week for plotting to kill a list of people while serving time in Clay County jail for a previous felony. 

Ko had previously attacked a 13-year-old girl who was attending IU’s Summer Strings Academy with a pocketknife, choking her and leaving her with cuts in July 2019.  

According to WTHR, Ko pleaded guilty to criminal confinement while armed with a deadly weapon for this incident. He was sentenced to eight years of home detention, but U.S. immigrations agents ordered him jailed instead of deporting him.   

Another charge for the incident, kidnapping while armed with a deadly weapon, was dismissed.  

According to the Herald Times, Ko was charged with conspiracy to commit murder in 2021 after it was revealed he had attempted to hire a fellow inmate to torture, disable and kill the 14 people he holds responsible for his conviction.  

According to Indiana Public Media, Clay County Prosecutor Zachary Clapp said Ko will spend anywhere from 10-30 years in prison for the hit list and is scheduled to deliberate his sentence on Nov. 29. 

This story will be updated.

CORRECTION: This story has been updated to reflect Dongwook Ko received a guilty verdict this week while serving time in Clay County jail.