sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball opens Thanksgiving break with four-set win over Maryland

spiuvbrecap111723.jpg

As conference play nears an end, Indiana volleyball hosted Maryland in its penultimate home match of the season. The Hoosiers were 8-8 in conference play before they took down Maryland in four sets. 

After a shaky start from the Indiana offense, a boost defensively from senior defensive specialist Grae Gosnell helped the Hoosiers hit their stride and tie the opening set up at 10 all. Once the Hoosiers tied the set, sophomore opposite Avry Tatum helped Indiana take the lead with two kills.  

The Terrapins continued to struggle, prompting a timeout down 18-13. After Maryland tried a late comeback taking three straight points, a kill from senior outside hitter Morgan Geddes gave Indiana the set 25-21. 

Tatum and sophomore outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles paced the offensive with five kills each in the first set. As a team, Indiana had 16 kills and hit .276 in the opening set. 

Indiana opened the second set with another Tatum kill, and from there the team’s fiery pace continued. The team quickly took a 10-6 lead and forced a Terrapin timeout. After being down 19-11, the Terrapins climbed back with four Hoosier attacking errors.  

The second set was tied at 24 before Maryland challenged the officials’ call on a crucial play and gave the Terrapins’ the edge. A quick kill won the Terrapins the second set, tying the match at one all.  

Tatum and Alonso-Corcelles each added three kills in the second set. Offensively, Indiana hit .139 with 12 kills and seven errors while Maryland hit .189 with 13 kills and six errors. 

Indiana continued the late woes from set two into set three, falling behind 7-2 early in the set. Senior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede had back-to-back kills to cut the lead down to four.  

An ace from Alonso-Corcelles tied the match up at 16 a-piece after trailing by as many as five in the set. After the Hoosiers fought back to tie, two errors from the Terrapins and a kill from Kjolhede gave Indiana its largest lead of the set, up 22-19. After surviving another late Terrapins run, the Hoosiers took the third set 25-23.  

Alonso-Corcelles added seven kills in the third set, giving her 15 for the match. Maryland had 14 kills and Indiana had 15, with five errors for each side in the third set. 

In set four, Indiana jumped out to a quick 10-3 lead, led by Alonso-Corcelles with three kills. Indiana capitalized off Terrapin errors, going up 18-11 through the middle of the fourth set. A service ace from Alonso-Corcelles sealed the win for Indiana taking the set 25-14 and the match 3-1.  

Alonso-Corcelles led all with 22 kills, hitting .288, followed by Geddes and Tatum with 15 and 11, respectively. The Hoosiers hit .238 with 59 kills. 

Indiana hosts Wisconsin for senior night Sunday, Nov. 19. The Hoosiers have not beat the Badgers in 16 straight matches with their last win coming in 2012. 

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (@mblivingston_) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.