Indiana football’s Donaven McCulley, Trent Howland, others enter transfer portal

spiufbportal112723.jpeg

Indiana football’s mass exodus of players continued Monday after the program fired head coach Tom Allen on Sunday, as junior receiver Donaven McCulley and redshirt sophomore running back Trent Howland announced Monday they’ve entered the transfer portal. 

McCulley, who came to Bloomington as a quarterback but transitioned to receiver after the 2021 season, had a breakout campaign, leading the Hoosiers with 48 receptions for 644 yards and six receiving touchdowns. 

Across Indiana’s final five games, McCulley caught 28 passes for 420 yards and five touchdowns. He shared the news on X, formerly known as Twitter. 

“I would also like to thank Coach Allen, Coach (Adam) Henry, Coach (Anthony) Tucker for pushing me to be my best, day in and day out,” McCulley wrote. “I greatly appreciate my teammates for the lifelong bonds that we’ve created. I’ve enjoyed my time at Indiana.” 

Like McCulley, Howland broke through near season’s end. Over the Hoosiers’ last three contests, Howland rushed for 186 yards and two touchdowns on 40 carries. Even with his late rise, the Joliet, Illinois, native led the team in rushing yards and yards per carry this season with 354 yards and 4.7 yards per carry. 

“It has been an honor to be a part of Indiana’s football program,” Howland wrote. “For the past three years Indiana University has helped shape and mold me into who I am today.” 

By entering the transfer portal, McCulley and Howland will have the opportunity to be recruited by other schools but could still opt to return to Indiana once a new coaching staff is introduced. 

The Hoosiers have now lost over 10 players, including starting quarterback Brendan Sorsby, to the transfer portal after firing Allen due to performance. Indiana concluded its season at 3-9 with a 35-31 loss to Purdue on Saturday. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.