campus student life

New to campus? Here are five must-have apps to use at IU

housingandliving111523

Starting a new year in college can sometimes feel overwhelming. From deciphering confusing transportation systems to communicating with professors, here are some apps to make your transition easier:

Bus Genius and Double Map

There are two bus systems that service IU’s campus: IU Campus Buses and Bloomington Transit. Both systems run numerous bus routes throughout the day, usually with multiple buses running at once. While Bloomington Transit and IU have published schedules online, traffic and construction can delay buses. To stay up to date on IU campus buses, students should download Bus Genius, available for free on the app store. To live-track Bloomington transit buses, you can use Double Map, also available for free.

IU Mobile

Perhaps the most important app for students to have is IU Mobile, the university’s one-stop-shop for almost all of its digital services. Through IU Mobile, students can access their class schedules, crimson cash, Canvas dashboard and so much more. You can also use the IU Mobile app to find nearby on-campus parking, food and computer labs. Lost your Crimson Card? IU Mobile even allows students to access a digital version of their card straight from the app.

Outlook app

IU’s official email system is through Outlook. While many students might only check their IU emails on their laptops, it's important to have quick, easy access to messages. The Outlook app is easy to use and even sorts your emails into the most important messages. The Outlook app also has its own in-app calendar and connects to other Microsoft applications.

Google Calendar

Life as a college student can be very busy. From classes to clubs and social life, many students find it difficult to manage their hectic schedules. Google Calendar is an easy-to-use way for students to organize their schedules and to-do lists. Google Calendar allows you to add different colors and topics to your calendar. The software also allows you to view your schedule by the day, week, month and year. Students can also create tasks – which they are able to check off – through Google Calendar. You can also share your calendar with friends and family, which automatically adds your events to other’s Google Calendar app.

Canvas app

While this might seem like an obvious must-have, the Canvas app is one of the most useful apps for IU students.  On Canvas, students can access assignments, quizzes and files for each of their classes. Most importantly, you can also access your grades through Canvas. Canvas has a to-do list to track all your assignments and an in-app messaging system to contact your professors and classmates.