campus administration

President Whitten presents 2030 strategic plan progress at State of the University Address

cawhittenaddress103023-jpg

IU President Pamela Whitten presented the university’s progress on the IU strategic plan, IU 2030, during her State of the University Address on the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus Monday. 

The IU 2030 strategic plan focuses on student success and opportunity, research, creativity and service to the state, nation and beyond. Whitten released details of the plan in April 2023 after her initial announcement the previous fall.  

“IU 2030 consists of a comprehensive university-wide plan and eight individual plans for each of the University’s campuses and the IU School of Medicine,” Whitten said during the address. “With objectives and metrics for success across the three strategic pillars: championing student success, pursuing research and creative activity that improves lives and strengthening the economic and cultural vitality of our state.” 

During the address, Whitten introduced a new online student platform that allows students to track their academic progress. The platform will utilize technology to help students make smart academic decisions and will launch in the Fall of 2024. 

Whitten also said DFW rates, which track the percentage of students who receive a D or F grade or withdraw, are leading indicators of decreased enrollment retention, decreased completion and extended time to complete degrees for students. 

“Under the IU 2030 strategic plan, all campuses are focused on lowering DFW rates to enhance student success,” Whitten said. “The approach being taken on the Indianapolis campus is to employ active learning techniques such as brief writing and discussion assignments, problem solving tasks and reflection-based activities.” 

Whitten said the net cost of attendance at IU, which is the cost a student pays after grants and scholarships, has declined over the last three years and IU Bloomington is among the most affordable institutions in the Big Ten. However, the sticker price of tuition increased in both 2021 and 2023.  

RelatedIndiana Gov. Holcomb appoints entrepreneur Isaac Torres to IU Board of Trustees Torres was appointed to the IU Board of Trustees on Oct. 27, 2023.

“But that doesn't mean our work is done,” Whitten said. "If we can’t keep expenses in line with revenues, then we can’t keep an IU education affordable. So, during the last fiscal year, we cut 70 million in administrative costs.” 

Whitten also said IU plans to offer students at Indianapolis public schools with a 3.0 grade point average or higher automatic admission acceptance into Indiana University-Indianapolis. The program will begin in the fall of 2024. 

She also announced a new investment in research at the Indianapolis campus. 

“Today, I’m officially announcing a historic investment of more than 250 million to fuel IU’s growth as a powerhouse in advancing research in biosciences, biomedical engineering and health and wellness,” Whitten said. “This significant initiative will establish two pioneering multidisciplinary research institutes at IU Indianapolis as recommended by the research accelerator action team.” 

Whitten also announced a $100 million investment over the next five years to hire over 30 new faculty members in the life sciences on the Bloomington campus. She also spoke about hiring more people from underrepresented backgrounds. 

“In the fall of 2021, we announced the Presidential Diversity Hiring Initiative. We pledged to invest $30 million over seven years to celebrate Indiana University’s efforts to hire faculty with diverse backgrounds and perspectives,” Whitten said. “Two years later, we’ve hired nearly 100 new faculty members from groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education.” 

Whitten emphasized the commitment to fostering kindness and compassion across campuses. 

“Let us harness the power of our conviction,” Whitten said. “And let us embrace tomorrow with a confidence that IU will continue to be a beacon of excellence and a home for all who seek knowledge, growth and impact.” 

RelatedHamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies seeks new dean According to the Office of The Provost and Executive Vice President, Provost Rahul Shrivastav appointed a new committee to lead the search for the position of dean at the HLS in 2022.