OPINION: This week’s hot takes

ophottakes022823-illo

Natalie Fitzgibbons: Fall festivities like pumpkin patches and apple orchards can be better than summer activities of going to the beach or water park. There’s something more peaceful and nostalgic about it. I think it’s because you can always go to a warmer climate for beach and water parks, but it has to be fall for pumpkin patches and apple orchards. 

Isabella Vesperini: I don’t like hot apple cider. It doesn’t really taste right, like it’s missing something. Apple cider is supposed to be cold and crisp. It tastes significantly better and more refreshing on a crisp fall day. There are other warm drinks you can get if you’re in the mood for those, like a mocha or hot chocolate.  

Leila Faraday: Vanilla wafers are the only cookies worth buying at the store. The rest are boring, dry and lack complex flavor harmony — especially Oreos. 

Danny William: This may be a cold take, but driving on I-465 is genuinely one of the worst experiences a central Indiana dweller can have. It’s always crowded, has confusing exits and is filled with some of the worst drivers in the state. I literally cheered in my car over the weekend when I was allowed to only drive five miles per hour over the speed limit –– usually it’s an average of 15 over. Yeah, sure, it’s fast. But there’s got to be a better way! 

Jared Quigg: Everyone should strive to be politically informed and involved in some way. Is politics sometimes boring? Sure. Is it depressing? Often. But just because you aren’t interested in politics doesn’t mean politics isn’t interested in you. You live in a society – act accordingly. It’s a very individualistic attitude to act as if what the government is doing won’t affect you or people you care about. I’ve heard so many people in my life say they don’t care about politics, and I think this mindset is misguided.  

Joey Sills: The Beatles are easily a much better band than The Beach Boys overall, but I am staunchly of the opinion that The Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds” is a better album than any The Beatles released. It’s hard to say it’s underrated — the album’s received massive critical acclaim and is widely considered one of the greatest of all time — but it’s a travesty the general public overlooks it. 

Gentry Keener: Pickles are the most foul thing ever put on this planet. There is nothing you can do to make a pickle taste good. There are some foods that are good in different forms –– for example, if you hate tomatoes, you often still like salsa or ketchup. If you hate avocados, you often still like guacamole. However, there is absolutely no form that a pickle can take that makes it any less disgusting.  

Jack Davis: Candy corn is one of the best candies out there. It may be nostalgia for me, but seeing a bowl full of it come out during the fall makes me feel incredibly happy. The taste is also good and brings back memories from my childhood of carving pumpkins and watching scary movies while snacking on the delicious candy. 

Faith Badgley: Jeep Gladiators have to be one of the ugliest trucks. All the manufacturers did was put a bed on a Jeep Wrangler. They could have done some redesign because a Jeep Wrangler itself looks fine, but with a bed, it’s automatically ruined. They are ugly.  

Jacob Lubarsky: IU’s Eskenazi Museum and Lilly Library do not get enough attention. Many students are probably unaware that between these two museums we have some of the most profound works of literature and art in the world. I rarely see much attention towards them. IU houses one of just a small handful of Gutenberg Bibles that still exist, ancient Egyptian tombs and a plethora of historically significant art between these two museums. If you have yet to indulge in these places, you’re missing out.