Q&A with students on 2023 Homecoming court

phhocoparade091022_opt_13.jpg

Every homecoming, the IU Student Alumni Association crowns two members of the undergraduate student body Homecoming Royalty, awarding each winner with a $500 scholarship. Any undergraduate student can apply, and 12 are selected to be on the homecoming court. IU students can vote for members of homecoming royalty using the IU Mobile app. Throughout homecoming, these students will participate in volunteer activities, ride a float in the homecoming parade and take the field during the football game.  

Sophomore Cady Armstrong, representing IU Student Government 

IDS: You’re the second-ever sophomore to be on IU’s homecoming court. Tell me why you decided to apply this year. 

Armstrong: I think it feels pretty cool. I didn't really know that going in. I just kind of wanted to go into the experience with an open mind, and I just thought that it sounded really fun. So, I was just kind of like, ‘Why wait?’ 

IDS: Why do you want to represent IU Student Government on a platform like homecoming court? 

Armstrong: I think IU Student Government is a really cool organization. I think they’ve done really cool events in the past and think they’ve done things to better the student body, like our Plan B initiative that got funding for Plan B at the health center. I really believe in the mission of IUSG to advocate for students. So, I’m honestly honored to represent IU Student Government for the school.  

Junior Madison Auleman, representing the Marching Hundred 

IDS: Why did you decide to apply to be on the homecoming court? 

Auleman: My freshman year, my first year on Hundred, there was this girl named Lauren who was on the homecoming court. I remember seeing her down there on the field in her uniform, and everyone was just super supportive. It was just so cool to see someone you know represent your organization for the entire university. I feel like the band and everyone, they volunteer a lot of time and dedication to the school, so to see that be recognized in a way was really cool.  

IDS: Tell me more about why it’s important to you to recognize the Marching Hundred.  

Auleman: I feel like there's a lot that goes on at this university. You kind of have the world at your fingertips, there's so much you can do. And the fact that almost 280 people (in the band) spend so much time at football games, basketball games, at the parade, doing all these homecoming events every year –– I feel like it is important for them to see someone just like them, someone that shares their interests. Because then it'll help people realize a lot of college students are the same in a way. 

Senior Ella Blaker, representing Alpha Pi chapter of Delta Sigma Pi

IDS: Why is it important to you to represent Alpha Pi on the court?

Blaker: I joined Delta Sigma Pi my very first year on campus and have found a home through this community. I have found lifelong mentors and friends through this organization and it has helped me grow into who I am today. I have learned so much from this community, and strive to serve as a mentor and friend just as others have done before me. I am proud to represent Delta Sigma Pi on IU Homecoming Court. 

Senior Abby DeArmitt, representing IU Student Government 

IDS: How did you get involved in IUSG?  

DeArmitt: I decided to get involved my freshman year because I wanted to be able to make an impact on the student experience at IU. I have stuck around because I am very passionate about the work I get to do, and I have also met some of my closest friends at IU through IUSG. 

IDS: Why did you apply to homecoming court? 

DeArmitt: IUSG won the homecoming competition last year, and we are trying to win again this year. Having people on the court is a great way to be involved and show pride for our organization. Being part of the court also appealed to me because it is a great way to recognize student leaders for the work we do, and I have gotten to meet some other fantastic leaders so far this week.  

Junior Esther Faniyan, representing the African Students’ Association 

IDS: You’re the president of the African Students’ Association. What do you want to do in that role?  

Faniyan: My major goal, especially this year, is just to create that environment and that community that feels like home for African students on campus. However, we are super welcoming and open to all students on campus, just (for students) to have that community and to learn more about the cultural, the political, everything about the African culture and what it entails.  

IDS: Tell me why it’s important to you to celebrate IU in this way during homecoming.  

Faniyan: I applied to create a legacy for incoming and current students, to basically remind them that they are not just a number at IU, they actually do belong at IU. 

When (you’re) a freshman, a lot of people just tell you what the school is about and what you’re going to gain from coming to IU –– the different connections you’re going to make, the organizations available. However, when I came into IU as a freshman, I did not feel that sense of belonging.  

Junior Laurie Frederickson, representing the Union Board 

IDS: What is it that you love about homecoming at IU?  

Frederickson: The events that IU provides are part of what makes college so fun, almost like you’re living in a movie. I think that’s one of the things that makes IU feel really homey. They put a lot of effort into providing these events just for students to have fun, just for students to be entertained and just for students to feel connected to a community.  

I think that there’s something really special about the community coming together and just celebrating being a Hoosier.  

IDS: What do you think students should know about homecoming? 

Frederickson: I would encourage people to go to the events and appreciate the time they have here. I know I always have a lot of fun at them, and I think it helps you take academics less seriously, especially being in the middle of midterms. It can help you enjoy all of college and really live in the moment, and not get so caught up in the stress of it all. 

Senior David “Divine” Gregory, representing the Group Scholars Program 

Gregory: I do a lot of stuff on campus, but I’m not necessarily front facing.  

A lot of people don’t necessarily know who I am, so this was never something that I saw myself doing. But the opportunity was there, it’s my senior year, and I want to make the most of every experience, every opportunity I can before I leave.  

IDS: Why is it important to you to represent the Group Scholars Program for the school in this way? 

Gregory: The Group Scholars Program is a very, very, very diverse program. A lot of students in the program, they need to see people like them in certain positions to inspire them, to make them feel like they’re worthy enough to do these things. I feel like I can say that because I was a Scholar at one point. If I hadn’t seen my peers doing amazing things, I don’t think I would have done amazing things. So, I feel like it’s very important for representation’s sake. Like, even if I don’t win, I will inspire somebody else to fill out that application and go out there on that field.  

Senior Katelyn Hermanson, representing the Board of Aeons 

Hermanson:  I am passionate about IU, and love all that Bloomington has to offer from restaurants to athletic events, and I’m proud to be a Hoosier!

Hermanson did not respond to request for additional comment by publication.

Senior Clara Isaac, representing Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority  

Isaac: I wanted to represent myself and my organization at a larger scale. I'm a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, Tau chapter here at IU. I'm the Director of Community Outreach. Something that I noticed is that we are considered kind of like a Black IU organization. But I want it to be known that we're not just a Black IU organization, we're an IU organization in that we are a resource to the entire student body. I kind of just want to amplify that fact. 

IDS: Can you tell me a little bit more about how being in Alpha Kappa Alpha has impacted your experience at IU? 

Isaac: The service that we do, and the sisterhood and the leadership opportunities –– it means everything to me. For my sorority, involvement in AKA increases after you graduate, so it’s more of a lifelong type of commitment. So right now, it’s just the beginning, and I’m so excited to be more involved. 

Senior Katie Martin, representing the Marching Hundred 

IDS: Why do you want to represent the Marching Hundred in this way?  

Martin: We’re one of the biggest and most present student organizations on campus –– everyone is aware of us, even if they don’t realize it. I’m very involved in all of the athletic bands here, so it’s just really exciting to get to represent them in this way.  

That’s my home. A majority of my friends and colleagues are in the band. 

IDS: What are you looking forward to this homecoming weekend?  

Martin: It’s going to be fun to be in the parade, I normally march in it. So, it’s cool to be on the parade float seeing a different side of the parade. I’m excited for game day and to get to wear the (homecoming court) sash with my (band) uniform, that’s a really special thing to get to do. 

Senior Eknoor Sethi, representing Kelley Student Government 

IDS: You were on homecoming court last year. What made you decide to apply again?  

Sethi: I got on (homecoming court) last year, and it was just so full of energy and everybody on it just loves IU. It was just amazing to be around those kinds of people, everybody’s on here for a reason.  

IDS: Why is it important to you to be involved in IU in this way? 

Sethi: I think it’s important to be involved in a community so you can tap into your passions and implement initiatives that are for the betterment of the community, both in the current and future. It’s just important to me to be part of something. You want to look back on it one day and think, ‘Wow, I really played a part in how amazing this is.’ 

Senior Cooper Sykes, representing the Student Athletic Board 

IDS: What’s it like being on the Student Athletic Board?  

Sykes: The big thing that I love about SAB is that we try really hard to support everything that IU does. Because our football and men’s basketball teams are wonderful, and they deserve a ton of credit, but so do all the other student athletes that are also getting up at 5 a.m. and doing all the stuff, so it’s great to go out there and give them just as much support and help them feel the love. 

IDS: Why is it important to you to represent the Student Athletic Board on homecoming court?  

Sykes: Since so much of homecoming is intertwined with athletics, to help represent that influence on the homecoming court is a great honor –– even though personally I’m not very athletic. But I’m good at cheering, clapping my hands. That’s about all I can do, but it’s just fantastic.