‘Spark plug’: Indiana men’s basketball’s Payton Sparks eyes pivotal frontcourt role

spiubbsparksfeature100423.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball can’t keep itself away from 6-foot-9, left-handed post players. Following the departure of Trayce Jackson-Davis, the Hoosiers made sure to fill the void with Ball State University junior transfer Payton Sparks.

Sparks hails from Winchester, Indiana and the in-state talent dominated his high school competition. He averaged a double-double for three consecutive seasons at Winchester Community High School and was a top-3 rebounder in the state and a small school all-state team honoree his senior season. He gained interest from mid-major Division I schools and committed to in-state school Ball State in July 2020.

Sparks flourished in his freshman campaign. He led the team in scoring — 13.5 points per game — and rebounding — 8.5 per game — en route to a flurry of conference honors. He won 2022 MAC Freshman of the Year, All-MAC Freshman Team and All-MAC Third Team.

Ball State fired then-head coach James Whitford and Sparks entered the transfer portal, but decided it wasn’t time to move on. With former Indiana player Mike Lewis at the helm, Sparks posted stats nearly exactly the same as his first season —  13.3 points and 8.7 rebounds per game. He again entered the transfer portal, but this time he was ready for the next step.

Sparks received interest from all over the country, saying several schools offered him visits of their campus. But when you win the lottery, you cash in the ticket as soon as possible. Just 13 days after entering the portal and not even two days after an IU visit, Sparks declared himself a Hoosier.

“Indiana’s been my dream school ever since I was young,” Sparks said at a roundtable Sept. 20. “To be here and put on this jersey... I’m happy. I’m really happy.”

Sparks’ transition may prove difficult on several levels. Be it a different role or a jump in talent level from a mid-major to a power conference, the former Cardinal will have some adjustments to make. However, he isn’t concerned.

“Moving to the Big Ten is a big step, but I’m ready for it,” Sparks said. “I’m not scared of anybody.”

His physicality down low was advantageous in the mid-major MAC, but some question if it will translate to the Big Ten.

Those doubts have been quelled. Sparks has gained 18 pounds from his former 240-lb playing weight, and it’s all muscle as evident in the weight room and off the court. Now with a 258-lb frame and a physical style of play in the post, Sparks has no reason to fear anyone.

In summer workouts, he bench pressed 27 reps of 185 lbs., far surpassing his previous record of 15 in a feat that would tie the NBA Combine record.  

On the court, just ask sophomore forward Malik Reneau — a fellow 6-foot-9, left-hander on the block. 

“(I’ve seen) his aggressiveness and the way he plays and works,” Reneau said at a roundtable. “He’s not taking a play off whether he’s tired or not. He’s still going at it 100% every day.” 

Yet despite his towering figure, his athleticism can be deceiving. 

“If I’m being honest, I thought Payton was going to be big and slow,” senior forward Anthony Walker said at a roundtable. “He’s got very soft feet, he’s very quick and when it comes to his cuts and stuff like that, he’s extremely explosive. It’s something that caught me off guard.” 

Walker, a fellow transfer from the University of Miami (FL), happens to be Sparks’ roommate. He described Sparks as a soft-spoken gentle giant, with his hulking figure misleading strangers about his personality misleading in a similar way to his athletic abilities. 

Sparks, Walker, Reneau and sophomore center Kel’el Ware bear the burden of transforming Indiana’s frontcourt. After losing the legendary Jackson-Davis along with Race Thompson and Jordan Geronimo, the quartet must replace the lost production and carve a new identity. For Sparks, his role was easily self-defined. 

“I’m gonna be very energetic and work my butt off,” Sparks said. “I’m gonna rebound the ball. I’m gonna do what everybody else is not willing to do on the court.” 

If there’s one reliable aspect of Sparks’ game to pinpoint, it’s grabbing boards. And after Indiana lost 69% of the team’s rebounding — including the program’s all-time leader in Jackson-Davis — the Hoosiers needed a glass-cleaner and got one. 

Sparks ranked fourth in the MAC and top-50 nationally in rebounds per game in both seasons played. A more specific area of strength is creating second chances, as he ranked top-30 nationally in offensive rebounds per game both seasons, eclipsing Jackson-Davis in that regard. 

Another strong suit of Sparks is his shot-taking efficiency. The lefty bruiser shot a shade under a 59% clip last season, also a top-30 national mark and slightly higher than Jackson-Davis, although the latter had a much higher volume. 

The Winchester native is the most post-centric player in Indiana’s frontcourt, but can still showcase the occasional jumper. Sparks said he’s worked to expand his mid-range game and, although self-admittedly not the best aspect of his game, the occasional 3-pointer. 

Sparks showed he can stuff the stat sheet as a Cardinal. He compiled 22 double-doubles in his two seasons with career highs of 24 points and 16 rebounds. But to him, that’s not what it’s about. 

“I think the individual goals will come as a team,” he said. “We want to win the Big Ten. We want to win March Madness. The individual goals will come after that.” 

Above all else, Sparks is accomplishing his dreams the hard way. Unlike his peers, who nearly all started at Indiana or another Power-5 program, Sparks — who was lowly recruited out of high school — worked his way through the mid-major ranks to earn his role at his dream school. Now that he has it, he’ll relish every moment. 

“Seeing all the legends that played before me and seeing how a whole state is around one college, it’s just a beautiful thing,” Sparks said. “I used to watch them play when I was young, and now, I couldn’t pass up this opportunity.”

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.