arts community events music books

Former Bloomington musicians return for memoir, album celebration Oct. 28

entmemoiralbum102523.jpg

Former Bloomington musicians John P. Strohm and Freda Love Smith met during their teenage years and will return to Morgenstern Books to celebrate Strohm’s recently released album and Smith’s recently published memoir. There will be a conversation, reading and acoustic performance at 6 p.m. Oct. 28 at Morgenstern Books.  

Strohm released his indie solo album, “Something To Look Forward To,” in September. The album marks his first released project since 2007. 

Last month, Smith, an IU alum, published the memoir, “I Quit Everything: How One Woman's Addiction to Quitting Helped Her Confront Bad Habits and Embrace Midlife.” Her first book, “Red Velvet Underground: A Rock Memoir, with Recipes,” was published in 2015.  

RelatedThe Jacobs School of Music to present ‘Carmina Burana’ Oct. 28The performance will be held at 8 p.m. in the Musical Arts Center.

Her newest memoir details her experience of an experiment in which she cut one addiction out of her life each month, whether it was caffeine, social media or alcohol.  

The two friends met in Bloomington and moved to Boston in 1985. While in Boston, they formed the indie rock band, Blake Babies, along with Juliana Hatfield. Both of the musicians continued their music careers for many years in various bands and independently.  

Smith teaches creative writing at Lesley University and Northwestern University while Strohm works as a music business attorney in Nashville.  

WFIU jazz director and host David Brent Johnson will moderate the event and take part in the conversation.