arts food

COLUMN: Best late night eats to order in Bloomington

entlatenight100223.jpg

If you don’t occasionally order food late at night in Bloomington, you’re not doing college right. Most college students have their go-to place to order from at 1 a.m., but it’s okay to jump out of your comfort zone and try something new every once in a while. Bloomington is the home of many late-night food options, and these are just a few that I believe are underrated.  

Rockit’s Famous Pizza 

With Bloomington’s large selection of pizza places, there are a few spots that tend to be overlooked. Rockit’s has the best location for those who like to explore the late-night scene on Walnut Street, only a few steps over from The Bluebird and a crosswalk away from Brother’s Bar and Grill. Despite its cramped space, they know how to bake an appealing piece of pizza at a fast pace.  

While they like to advertise their pizza by the slice, they also serve whole pizzas, and you can even scroll through their website to check out their famous combination pizzas. Their menu offers more than just pizza. They also offer a selection of sandwiches, garlic bread and a spinach salad. I personally love to order their Rockit’s Stix with a side of marinara for dipping. Rockit’s should be a considerable option for when your night ends a little earlier, since it closes at 11 p.m., and you can even order it for delivery or pickup.  

IHOP 

This option is a great example of an affordable but underrated restaurant. After you’ve been out all night and just need some decent food to eat, let’s be honest... you don’t really care about eating high-quality food — which is why IHOP should be considered more often. It’s open 24 hours a day, which is perfect for those people who order food at 3 a.m. and take their sweet time to browse the menu.  

Their extensive menu is what makes their restaurant different from most late-night food options in Bloomington, as it includes what feels like an endless number of options to choose from. You can order pancakes with bacon, a cup of soup, or even a burger and fries. Their website allows you to order online and receive curbside pickup, or you can use a delivery app like DoorDash or Grubhub.  

Chubbie's Diner 

If you’re craving Mexican food late at night, don’t even think about Taco Bell. I get it, it’s cheap and fast, but it doesn’t always make you feel too great an hour later. Chubbie’s makes their food just as fast and much more delicious. Located right on Kirkwood, Chubbie’s serves late night Mexican food until 2 a.m. on Thursday and 3:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.  

This diner isn’t like any other late-night Mexican food in Bloomington, Chubbie’s creates a modern but cozy atmosphere for customers enjoying their meal at 2 a.m. They serve one of my favorite burritos in Bloomington. I tend to make my own burrito, but they offer more options than just burritos. Their menu also features tacos, quesadillas, tamales and more.