city community events bloomington

Vibe Yoga Studio with international network, I Support the Girls, donating menstrual products to homeless community

cavibeyoga092123.jpg

Vibe Yoga Studio is partnering with I Support the Girls Bloomington this September to collect menstrual products. 

I Support the Girls is an international network which supports homeless women and folx by distributing bras, underwear and menstrual products. 

“If you’re in a situation where you’re low income and you have to choose between buying food and tampons...women are in that situation all the time,” Marsha Lovejoy, founder of I Support the Girls Bloomington, said. 

Every month Vibe Yoga Studio hosts a “Yoga in Action" collaboration with a local nonprofit. The monthly collaboration features a weekly donation-based hot flow yoga class at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays which allows participants to donate to I Support the Girls for entry instead of paying the typical class fee. 

A typical drop-in session at Vibe Yoga Studio is $20. 

“We want to be able to lower the barriers for entry into a studio space as well as give our students who practice there a connection with the community and educate them on opportunities to either volunteer or support,” Laura Patterson, founder of Vibe Yoga Studio, said

[Related: City of Bloomington partners with Middle Way House for annual Wrapped in Love event]

Since I Support the Girls Bloomington was founded in 2016, the organization has donated more than 30,000 products, Lovejoy said. These products are donated to local nonprofits such as the Indiana Recovery Alliance, Middle Way House and Pantry 279. Julie Pemberton, dDevelopment and operations assistant for the Indiana Recovery Alliance, said Lovejoy organized a collaboration in June with her organization. 

“I could not believe that within hours the same day she contacted us she had her whole vehicle loaded up with boxes and boxes and boxes of donations,” Pemberton said. 

Lovejoy runs the Bloomington affiliate of I Support the Girls out of her garage. Lovejoy said she tries to partner with as many local businesses and nonprofits a year as she can. 

“I never thought I would be talking about tampons on Facebook as much as I do,” Lovejoy said. 

Attendees may donate any amount at Vibe Yoga Studio in cash or card when attending the donation-based class. They may also bring in a donation worth at least $2. 

“Everyone should be able to practice yoga,” Patterson said. 

Donations for I Support the Girls Bloomington are also being accepted via Amazon Wishlist here

Contact Vibe Yoga Studio for more information on partnerships here

[Related: Bloomington organizations come together to host second annual “Paint Bloomington!”]