sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball sweeps weekend invitational in Tennessee

spiuvbrecap091023.jpeg

Indiana volleyball returns from the Stacheville Invitational in Clarksville, Tennessee with three victories, sweeping their opponents in nine straight sets. The host Austin Peay State University, Lindenwood University and Valparaiso University were the teams Indiana faced over the weekend. 

The Hoosiers opened play on Friday against Valparaiso, sweeping the Beacons in straight sets 25-16, 25-15 and 25-15. Junior outside hitter Mady Saris led the charge for Indiana, hitting .407 with 13 kills. As a team, the Hoosiers had 13 blocks with graduate student middle blocker Kaley Rammelsberg having six of those. Indiana held the Beacons to a .000 hitting percentage. 

In its second game of the Friday doubleheader, Indiana faced Lindenwood. Rammelsberg followed up the first game by assisting all nine team blocks in their three-set win over Lindenwood, 25-21, 25-17 and 25-11. Saris had a team-high 12 kills on 25 swings. Junior setter Camryn Haworth nearly recorded a double-double, finishing the match with 28 assists and nine digs. 

The Hoosiers finished their weekend playing the host Austin Peay in the final match of the invitational. Indiana won in straight sets 25-13, 25-19 and 25-18. Rammelsberg again shined throughout the match, hitting a scorching .714 with 10 kills and eight blocks with no errors. The Hoosiers recorded 10 service aces in the three-set victory as Saris led all players with four service aces. 

Rammelsberg was named the tournament MVP, recording 23 blocks and 25 kills on the weekend. Both Saris and Haworth were named to the all-tournament team as well, leading the Hoosiers to a 3-0 weekend. After losing three straight games the weekend of Sept. 1, the Hoosiers bounced back in Tennessee. 

Indiana will finish its non-conference slate Sept. 15 and 16 in Miami, Florida. The Hoosiers will be competing in the 305 Challenge. The five-team tournament features the University of Miami, Stetson University, Florida International and Jacksonville University alongside Indiana. The Hoosiers will take on Stetson University at 11 a.m. on Friday.  

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (.@mblivingston_) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.