sports softball

Indiana softball’s All-American Taryn Kern transfers to Stanford

spiusbkernbrief071823.jpg

Former Indiana softball infielder Taryn Kern announced Tuesday via her social media that she is transferring to Stanford University for the 2024 season. Kern is the third and final member of Indiana softball’s Team 50 that has found a new school after entering the transfer poral.

"I knew Stanford was the right place for me,” Kern said in a press release from Stanford softball Tuesday. “The combination of academic and athletic excellence, being close to home, and the ultimate opportunity that Stanford University provides was the deal breaker for me.”

According to Justin McLeod of Extra Inning Softball, Kern entered the transfer portal on June 5. Kern, who is from San Jose, California, was the first of the three Hoosiers to put her name into the portal. Pitcher Kate Rehberg transferred to the University of Northern Colorado on June 16 and outfielder and pinch-running specialist Elle Smith transferred to Lipscomb University on July 5.

Kern was the two-hitter for most of the year in Indiana’s potent lineup, led the Big Ten in eight offensive categories and broke program records previously held by gold-medal-winning Olympian Michelle Venturella.

Those accolades in her record-breaking freshman campaign were more than enough for Kern to win Big Ten Freshman and Player of the Year and earn spots on multiple All-American teams. Kern was also a finalist for the TUCCI/NFCA Division I Freshman of the Year, an award which was won by her new teammate, pitcher NiJaree Canady.

Kern, who has three years of eligibility remaining, joins Canady and the remainder of a Stanford squad which made the Women’s College World Series last season for the first time since 2004.

Stanford was two wins away from reaching the championship series and lost to eventual champion Oklahoma University. The Cardinal finished 2023 with a 47-15 record, going 14-10 in the Pacific-12 Conference.

"The chance to play in the World Series for a national championship, and to be a part of the incredible and unique program that Coach Allister has created is a dream come true,” Kern added. “I can't wait to get on the field with these girls and make history for Stanford Softball."