bloomington

Safety tips for Fourth of July

cajulysafety070323.jpg

The Fourth of July can be a fun holiday to celebrate with friends and family. Here are some tips to help you stay safe this week.

Keeping an eye on children and pets

IU Health recommended in a press release that people establish a meet-up point or plan in case children get separated from their group. Children tend to wander off, so make sure you have someone always watching them.

IU Health also recommended keeping children and pets away from grills, campfires and fireworks. These flammable objects could burn or injure people and animals, so it could be best to keep pets and children inside or in a safe place during these celebrations.

Stay hydrated

Drinking water throughout the day can help prevent overheating or dehydration. Bloomington’s forecast for this week will be in the 80s to 90s degrees Farenheit, with chances of thunder and lightning on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Regularly drinking water can also be helpful if you are drinking alcohol throughout the day.

[Related: City of Bloomington releases annual drinking water quality report]

Be careful when handling fireworks

IU Health advises people to wear protective eyewear when handling fireworks. They also said to never hold lit fireworks in your hands or light fireworks indoors.

IU Health recommends keeping a bucket of water close by to extinguish fireworks that do not go off or in case of a fire.

Corrina Repetto, a medical provider for IU Health Emergency Services, said in the press release burns are the most common firework-related injuries. Others common injuries include hearing loss, vision loss, bone fractures and bruising.

“Many of these injuries occur due to direct contact with the fireworks, mishandling or malfunctioning of fireworks, or even fireworks landing on individuals or their clothing,” Repetto said.

Monitor your activities while under the influence

IU Health recommends not handling fireworks if you have been drinking. Mishandling flammable objects can lead to injuries to yourself and others.

Indiana police also urge people to avoid drinking and driving. Ways to avoid this are by using Uber or Lyft to get places, having a sober friend drive or using the multiple Bloomington Transit routes. Bloomington Transit fixed route and BT Access will not operate on Tuesday July 4 but will resume on July 5, according to their website.

To keep the roads safe around the Fourth of July, police across Indiana will increase patrols from June 30 to July 8, according to Indiana Public Media.

[Related: Bloomington Transit to expand transportation options]