Indiana track and field’s Sola-Fernandez places 15th in long jump, Ulrich 18th in shot put at NCAA Championships

spiut&f060923.jpg

Indiana senior Paola Sola-Fernandez placed 15th in women's long jump during the second day of the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships Thursday. Sophomore Jayden Ulrich finished 18th in women's shot put. 

Sola-Fernandez’s furthest distance in the competition was 6.02 meters. She was eliminated in the third round as her distance was insufficient to move on. This is Sola-Fernandez's second career appearance at the outdoor championships. She recorded a longest jump of 6.18 meters and placed 14th last year. 

The long jump event concluded with Ackelia Smith, a sophomore from the University of Texas at Austin, taking the gold with a distance of 6.88 meters.  

In the women’s shot put, Ulrich recorded a distance of 16.68 meters. Her score was not enough to make it out of the third round. This year’s competition is Ulrich’s second time qualifying for the NCAA outdoor championships. Last year, Ulrich placed 17th with a distance of 16.62 meters. 

The women’s shotput crowned its champion Axelina Johansson, a freshman from the University of Nebraska, after throwing 19.28 meters.  

The third and final day of the outdoor championships will start at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field at the University of Texas. Indiana’s final athlete, junior Nathan Koch, will compete in the men’s discus at 7:35 p.m. The championships will air on ESPN+.