Two more Indiana softball players enter transfer portal

Indiana softball players huddle at the NCAA Tournament against the University of Tennessee May 21. Two players entered their name into the transfer portal, according to a report Tuesday morning.

Indiana softball freshman outfielder Elle Smith and senior pitcher Kate Rehberg have entered the transfer portal, according to a report from Softball Portal early Tuesday morning. 

The news comes nearly a day after freshman infielder Taryn Kern put her name into the portal

Smith was mainly used as a pinch runner. She appeared in 39 games, scored 15 runs and stole four bases in five attempts. The Blue Spring, Missouri native had two hits and one walk at the plate in only three at-bats. Smith also recorded three putouts in the field and has three years of eligibility remaining. 

Rehberg enters the portal as a graduate transfer with one year of remaining eligibility after graduating from IU in May. Rehberg hails from Omaha, Nebraska and in four years with the Hoosiers tallied 13⅓ innings pitched in 14 appearances, collecting seven strikeouts with an earned run average of 12.29. 

Indiana has now lost three members of Team 50 to the transfer portal, a group that made it to the regional final in the NCAA Tournament before falling short to the University of Tenessee. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.