sports motor sports

Stefan Wilson injured in Monday’s practice, will not race in Indianapolis 500.

spindycarbrief052323.jpg

After a frightening collision with Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s Katherine Legge in Monday afternoon’s Indianapolis 500 practice session, injured Dreyer & Reinbold Racing/Cusick Motorsports driver Stefan Wilson will not be allowed to compete in Sunday’s 107th running of the Indianapolis 500, per release. 

Wilson, the younger brother of the late Justin Wilson, qualified for his fifth Indy 500 Saturday with a four-lap average of 231.648 mph. 

Running in a pack of cars Monday, Legge collided with the rear of Wilson’s No. 24 Chevrolet, sending the two into the outside retaining wall in Turn 1 of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  

Legge climbed from her car within seconds, but the AMR safety crew carefully aided Wilson out of his car, placing him onto a stretcher. Wilson gave the crowd a thumbs up as he was loaded into the ambulance. 

Wilson was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital for further tests, where it was disclosed that he suffered a fracture of the 12th thoracic vertebrae, per release. The Sheffield, England, native will stay overnight at the hospital Monday for further tests and observation. 

The Dreyer & Reinbold/Cusick Motorsports team has yet to name a replacement driver for Sunday’s race.