sports tennis

Indiana women’s tennis to start Big Ten road trip at Penn State

spiuwtpreview032523.jpg

Indiana women’s tennis will travel to University Park, PA to face Penn State University in the first of three consecutive away Big Ten matchups. 

The Hoosiers have a winning history against Penn State with a 14-4 overall record and positive win-loss ratios in both home and away games: 8-2 at home and 6-2 away. 

However, the Nittany Lions have won the last two matchups, including a 5-1 loss last year for the Hoosiers.  

Despite the recent losses, the Hoosiers have still dominated in recent years. Dating back to 2014, Indiana is 7-3 in the last 10 showdowns against the Nittany Lions. 

Indiana has had ups and downs this season, especially recently. In the last five games, the Hoosiers have gone 3-2, with the wins interspersed with the losses. The Hoosiers are also 1-2 in the Big Ten, with losses to Maryland and Northwestern. 

Penn State is 9-9 this season and 1-3 in the Big Ten, with losses to Illinois, No. 3 Ohio State and No. 16 Wisconsin. The Nittany Lions have a 2-7 record on the road but usually perform well at home. 

Individually, the Nittany Lions No. 1 junior Sofiya Chekhlystova is 9-6 this season and 4-4 in the last ten matches, most recently earning a victory against Minnesota. Hoosiers No. 1 sophomore Lara Schneider, on the other hand, is 10-2 this season and 8-1 in the last ten matches, including an 8-game winning streak. 

Despite the losses, Schneider is 3-0 against Big Ten opponents in singles, while Penn State’s Chekhlystova is 0-2 in the conference. 

Hoosiers’ No. 2 graduate student Saby Nihalani is also doing very well this season. She is 9-3 overall, including a record of 6-2 in the last ten matches. Currently, she’s on a 2-game losing streak but she has a positive record of 2-1 in the Big Ten. 

Nittany Lions’ No. 2 sophomore Yvonne Zuffova has not played great recently, as she’s in the midst of a 4-game losing streak. She is 6-11 this season, including a 4-6 record in the last ten matches and a 1-3 record in the Big Ten. 

The No. 5 singles matchup should be exciting. Hoosier freshman Nicole Teodosescu is 5-3 since being inserted in the lineup, including 2-1 in the Big Ten and is on a 3-game winning streak. For the Nittany Lions, freshman Olivia Dorner has the team’s best record — being 11-5 overall — but she is 0-3 in conference games.  

A tough matchup should also be expected at No. 1 for doubles play. Hoosiers Schneider and Nihalani face Chekhlystova and graduate student Carla Girbau, both doubles, have the best records on their respective teams. The Hoosiers’ double is 9-3 this season, but only 1-2 in the conference, and the Nittany Lions’ double is 6-3 overall and 2-0 in the conference. 

The Hoosiers usually struggle away from Bloomington, with a 3-2 record on the road. The away wins include two 4-3 games and one 4-2 game while the losses generally include a bigger margin, including a 4-1 and a 5-2 loss.  

Penn State, on the other hand, is 6-2 at home this season, losing to No. 16 Wisconsin and Old Dominion University. 

Indiana plays Penn State at 11 a.m. on Sunday in University Park, Pennsylvania.