OPINION: This week's hot takes

ophottakes013123-png

Joey Sills: I understand its technical proficiency and its cultural significance, but the original “Avatar” is the definition of mid. It’s a generic 90-minute film in a three-hour film’s body and it drags so much that it definitely feels like it. Watch it for its historical value but don’t expect anything revelatory.   

Carolyn Marshall: It’s good to take your headphones off and walk to class without music. I’ve found that it’s nice to listen to the real world rather than constantly feeding my eardrums with varieties singers and instrumentalists.   

Jared Quigg: Despite what a lot of conservatives say, college campuses are not hotbeds of leftist politics. Most professors I’ve had seem like status quo liberals, not Marxists. In fact, whenever they talk about Marx, they betray that they haven’t done the reading.   

Elizabeth Valadez: People have got to let their guards down and embrace all that country music has to offer. Bad music and artists exist across all genres. Stop acting as though all country singers and their respective songs fall into this category of badness – I promise they don’t.  

Danny William: The film and TV industry is far too dependent on nostalgia and reboots. NBC is practically re-airing their entire ‘80s and ‘90s lineup (don’t even get me started on the “Quantum Leap” reboot). Original ideas are no longer the emphasis of studios; the goal is to prey on the past and already-existing fanbases to make as much money as humanly possible.  

Audrey Vonderahe: George Harrison was the best Beatle. Here’s why: The legendary Patti Boyd and Eric Clapton love triangle lore has gone down in rock’n’roll history. His solo career, specifically the album “All Things Must Pass,” is a masterpiece. He wrote “Something” and “Here Comes the Sun,” two of the most legendary and widely known Beatles songs. Hands down, he’s the best.  

Owen Darland: The trajectory video games are on is detrimental to fun. It is hard to boot up a new game without having a bunch of micro transactions thrown in your face. Customers feel more like cash cows rather than a player of the game.  

Leila Faraday: There is genuinely no reason to be using a full cup of laundry detergent for one load. You’re ruining your clothes and your machine. Also, using too much laundry detergent actually makes you more stinky.