Indiana women’s tennis’ back on track with a win on the road against Cornell

spiuwtrecap020423.jpg

Indiana women’s tennis won against Cornell University 4-3 on Friday afternoon in Ithaca, New York. 

The Hoosiers started the doubles match at No. 3 with redshirt junior Alexandra Staiculescu and redshirt junior Xiaowei "Rose" Hu losing 6-1. 

At No. 2, Indiana’s redshirt junior Mila Mejic and graduate student Lauren Lemonds won 6-3 to tie overall.  

The Hoosiers’ No. 1 sophomore Lara Schneider and graduate student Saby Nihalani won 6-3, taking the doubles point. 

For the singles, Indiana started with a victory at No. 4, with Mejic winning 6-0 and 6-4. Next, Hoosiers’ No. 2 Nihalani lost 6-2 and 6-1, dropping to 3-1 in singles this season, and No. 3 Staiculescu lost 6-0, 7-6 (7-1). 

However, No. 5 Lemonds won 6-3 and 7-5 to bring the Hoosiers back to the game. Then, No. 6 Hu won 7-5 and 6-2 to give the Hoosiers the win. 

Hoosiers No. 1 Schneider lost 7-6 and 6-4, but Indiana had already taken the win. 

With the win, Mejic improved to 4-1 and Lemonds to 3-1 this season in singles matches.  

In the doubles, Mejic and Lemonds are now 3-1 after winning their fourth match against Cornell. 

The Hoosiers play against Yale University on Sunday, Feb. 5, an away game in New Haven, Connecticut.  

Follow reporter Leo Paes (@Leordpaes) for updates throughout the match and the rest of the Indiana women’s tennis season.