Indiana reports minimal levels of influenza, zero new mpox cases, increase in COVID-19 cases

cahealthupdate022023.jpeg

Influenza  

The Indiana Department of Health’s last influenza update, covering the week Feb. 5-11, reflected minimal levels of influenza-like illness statewide.

There have been 167 influenza-associated deaths in Indiana during the 2022-34 flu season; 120 of those deaths were people aged 65 and older. The duration of the 2022-23 flu season is determined by the corresponding Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report reporting weeks. Reports of influenza for the 2022-23 flu season started Oct. 8, 2022.  

Based on specimens tested by the IDOH Laboratory, the most common influenza strains circulating this season are H1N1 and H3N2. 

Find locations offering the flu vaccine in Bloomington here

[Related: Indiana reports minimal levels of influenza, zero new mpox cases, COVID-19 cases low]

COVID-19 

Monroe County reported 13 COVID-19 cases and zero deaths for the week Feb. 5-11.

Indiana reported 667 COVID-19 cases for the week ending Feb. 11, up 84 cases from the previous week. There were two COVID-19 related deaths in Indiana for the week Feb. 5-11.  

The IDOH reported 56 hospital admissions statewide for the week ending Feb. 11  

This past week, IU updated its COVID-19 testing program to focus exclusively on rapid antigen tests. IU Bloomington students, faculty and staff now can receive free rapid antigen tests from vending machines located in the Indiana Memorial Union basement and McNutt center building.  

The Pfizer bivalent booster for ages six months to four years and the Moderna bivalent booster for ages 6 months to 5 years were approved by the U.S Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in December 2022. The CDC now recommends eligible individuals 6 months and older receive an updated Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.  

In September 2022, the CDC endorsed the use of updated COVID-19 Pfizer boosters for individuals aged 12 years and older and Moderna boosters for individuals aged 18 years and older. According to the CDC, updated COVID-19 boosters better protect against Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 variants. 

[Related: Rapid antigen tests available on campus for students, faculty, staff]

Mpox  

The IDOH reported zero new cases of mpox since Feb. 8. There have been 287 total mpox cases in Indiana reported since June 2022.  

According to the IDOH mpox dashboard, Monroe County has reported less than five mpox cases since counting began in June 2022.

Nationwide, the CDC reported 30,193 total mpox cases in the U.S. since counting started in June 2022. There have been 32 total mpox-related deaths in the U.S.  

In November, the World Health Organization announced it would be using the new preferred term “mpox” as a synonym for monkeypox. WHO stated both terms will be used simultaneously for a year in order to phase out the term “monkeypox.”  

According to IDOH, the JYNNEOS mpox vaccine is recommended for people who have been exposed to mpox and individuals who may be more likely to get mpox. Individuals can search for a location to receive the mpox vaccine here.  

Individuals interested in receiving an mpox vaccine can contact the Monroe County Public Health Clinic.

CLARIFICATION: This story has been updated to provide the most up-to-date instructions for getting an mpox vaccine.