administration

Rapid antigen tests available on campus for students, faculty, staff

cacovidtests020723.jpg

IU’s free COVID-19 testing program is now focused exclusively on rapid antigen tests. Through the updated program, students, faculty and staff can receive up to four tests per month, according to IU’s COVID-19 information site.  

Rapid antigen tests can be picked up at the Indiana Memorial Union’s 24 hour, 7-day-a-week vending machine in the basement of the building. Tests are also available at the center building of McNutt Quadrangle 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Friday. Another vending machine is also available at McNutt 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 

Related: [Indiana experiences minimal levels of influenza and reported one new mpox case, COVID-19 cases remain low]

Antigen tests can be used to test for COVID-19 infection at home, with results usually available in less than one hour. Antigen tests are typically used to test people experiencing COVID-19 symptoms. While a positive test result from an antigen test means COVID-19 is very likely to have been detected, a false negative result is also a possibility with at-home tests, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. IU recommends repeat testing following a negative result to reduce the risk of an infection being missed.  

Antigen tests can also be found at buildings and vending machines in other IU campuses. COVID-19 tests are also available at the IU Bloomington Student Health Center pharmacy.