Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive roll through West Lafayette, derail Boilermakers

spiusdrecap012223.jpg

The No. 7/9 Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive teams defeated Purdue on Saturday at the Morgan J. Burke Aquatic Center in West Lafayette, extending their winning streak to five and improving to 6-1 on the season. The men took the top spot 159-133, and the women won 161-128.   

The sophomore diving duo of Quinn Henninger and Carson Tyler swept the men’s diving events, with Henninger taking the top spot in the 1-meter event while Tyler won the platform event. Tyler’s consistency was notable as the second-year diver earned at least 60 points on all of his dives, including four dives north of the 70-point mark.  

Reigning Big Ten Women’s Diver of the Week junior Anne Fowler won the 1-meter competition, making it three out of four possible victories for Indiana in the diving events.   

Junior swimmer Jassen Yep continued his strong season Saturday. Yep swept the breaststroke races and took home first place in the 200-yard individual medley, marking a trifecta of victories for the Saratoga, California product. Fellow juniors Tomer Frankel and Gavin Wight — as well as graduate Van Mathias — also put together stellar performances, contributing to the men’s success in individual wins and relays alike. 

On the women’s side, reigning three-time Big Ten Women’s Freshman of the Week Kristina Paegle, reigning Big Ten Women’s Swimmer of the Week graduate Noelle Peplowski, graduate Mackenzie Looze and junior Elizabeth Broshears were all multi-event winners.   

Head swimming coach Ray Looze has made relays a point of focus this season. The Hoosiers’ success in these events played a crucial role in defeating the Boilermakers in leg two of a season-ending tripleheader.   

Indiana closes the trifecta and its regular season against a ranked foe just south of the Ohio River. The Hoosiers will look to improve to 3-0 in 2023 when they face off against the No. 17/6 University of Louisville Cardinals on Friday at 2 p.m.  

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.