Grunwald Gallery to open ‘The Deep End: Golden Age Comic Books’ exhibit Jan. 13

entgrunwaldgallery010823.jpg

The Grunwald Gallery of Art will display a collection of comic books Jan. 13-March 4.  

The exhibit, “The Deep End: Golden Age Comic Books,” will examine the theme of underwater imagery in comics created in the medium’s golden age between 1938 and 1961. The exhibition will contain comic books from Eskenazi School faculty member Malcolm Mobutu Smith, an associate professor of ceramics, who accumulated his nearly 20,000-piece comic collection over the last 30 years.  

Smith’s collection showcases work from diverse artists, designers, editors and art directors active during the golden age of comic books. “The Deep End: Golden Age Comic Books” exhibit will display nearly 500 examples of underwater imagery in comics.  

Related: COLUMN: 6 songs to capture the dreary essence of winter 

The gallery will be open noon-8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13, and all day Saturday and Sunday. After opening weekend, visitors can look at Smith’s comic collection during the gallery’s visiting hours noon-4 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday until the exhibit closes March 4.  

Opening events will take place Jan. 13, where Smith will speak about the collection at noon. A panel discussion will take place at 5 p.m., followed by an opening reception 6-8 p.m. The exhibit and its opening events are free to the public.  

More information is available on the Eskenazi School website.