OPINION: Adopting a pet is a great thing

opshelteranimals012623-png

There exists a misconception about owning pets, especially as a college student. Many people view owning a pet as a liability — another thing to stress about in terms of finances and time.  

In reality, though, there are so many more pros than cons when it comes to adopting a pet. From abundant love to learning responsibilities, a pet can bring so much goodness to anyone’s life. 

First off, a pet teaches you responsibility. It teaches you to tend to and take care of something that isn’t just you. Owning a pet teaches you time -management skills and gives more structure to your life.  

It may seem that this causes stress, but in the long run it does the opposite. It rewards you with a loving and compassionate friendship with your pet and teaches you more about yourself, allowing you to grow as a human being. 

Secondly, pets relieve stress — they don’t create it. Whenever you open the door to your house, whether you get back from a long day of classes or a bad day at work, your pets will be there to cheer you up. 

[Related: 'It's my whole life:' Delilah's Pet Shop struggles after city ban]

Also, if you are an active person who likes to be on the go, a dog would fit your lifestyle perfectly. Playing fetch and walking your pal gets you out of the house and into the sun and fresh air. Seeing your dog go crazy for a stuffed animal and running around crazy will help increase your serotonin levels. 

If you are more of a lax person who likes to sit back and chill, a cat will do wonders. You can stretch out on your couch, watch your favorite show and have your cat buddy snuggling with you. 

Watching your cat jump into boxes, chase after toy mice and sprint like a 10-pound meteorite will surely make you smile.  

Playing with your pets and spending time with them helps tremendously with mental health. They are a ray of light that funnels out the stresses and pressure of college life. They relieve loneliness and can help with mental health issues like depression and anxiety.  

If you don’t think there are places to adopt pets near you, you are wrong. Looking online, you can find where to adopt pets.  

[Related: Here's what to know about renting while having a pet in college]

Bloomington has an animal shelter located on 3410 S. Walnut St. They always have sweet pets looking for a new home, and the application process is quick and easy.  

If you believe a pet will help your mental health and you are willing to learn new responsibilities, you should visit its website

They have information about the animals up for adoption and what is required of new owners to adopt a pet. 

There are so many cats and dogs who deserve a chance to live in a nice, warm home, and there are so many college students who deserve a chance at building a fulfilling friendship with a loving pet.  

These pets bring joy and happiness to the people who meet them. They are more than just animals. They are companions with unconditional love in their hearts. 

Nick Moser (he/him) is a senior majoring in English and minoring in political science and film production.