OPINION: There is a lot to do around Bloomington before break

opbeforeyouleave121322.jpg

Whether it's within the Sample Gates or down the infamous Kirkwood Avenue, there are many opportunities offered to get outside and enjoy your time before leaving campus. For some, this semester sees off students who will be moving forward with various life goals that IU helped them achieve in various ways.

Something I think about when it comes to the Christmas season are well-known movies, such as “Elf.” Starting Dec. 15 until Dec. 31, the Constellation Stage and Screen’s production of “Elf the Musical” will be performed at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The theater is located off Kirkwood Avenue and is a shared building with Blu Boy Cafe & Cakery. If you go to see the show, feel free to get a hot cup of hot chocolate and a slice of cake at intermission.

[Related: Constellation Stage and Screen to welcome ‘Elf the Musical’ Dec. 15]

Along with this musical holiday cheer is IU’s well-renowned a cappella group, “Straight No Chaser,” who originated here at IU. They will be coming back to their roots at 8 p.m. this Friday, Dec. 16, at the IU Auditorium.This is a stop along their 25th anniversary tour that will continue throughout the U.S. during the holiday season. Going to see this concert could be a good way to celebrate the end of the semester with family and friends.

Consider visiting the Indiana Memorial Union’s Sugar and Spice cafe one last time before leaving campus. Personally, I have enjoyed being able to walk to the heart of campus and sip on a coffee while working on homework. Even though it is infamous for its long lines, IU’s Starbucks is one to visit as well, especially with the East Lounge, or as some call it, the “fireplace lounge.”

Shake the hand of the Herman B Wells statue for extra luck one last time. Walking to this statue could also take you through one more walk through Dunn Woods. Also, if you are looking for a romantic night out, consider stopping by Rose Well House for a midnight kiss, also considered good luck for you and your significant other.

IU’s on-campus Eskenazi Museum of Art houses paintings by famous artists such as Claude Monet, Pablo Picasso and Jackson Pollock. Walking around the museum is free and allows time for reflection over the past semester.

To spend one last night in the IU auditorium, consider getting tickets to see and hear Bloomington musician Charlie Jesseph play at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 18. Jesseph will play unreleased songs while an artist paints the show live, capturing the show on canvas. Sign language interpreters will also communicate Jesseph’s lyrics through movement.  

Know that as finals are in full swing and students are graduating, there is still time to get outside and see the various experiences that Bloomington has to offer. Whether that means going to a concert or simply getting a hot coffee for warmth during the cold season, the holidays are meant for enjoying life and gathering with others to celebrate the season.

[Related: OPINION: Even during finals season, romanticize the holidays]

As some move on to broader horizons, it’s important to hold IU traditions within one’s hearts. Whether that has to do with Martha the Mop Lady before the basketball games, or walking past Showalter Fountain, IU will always have a special place for incoming students, and those who make new homes elsewhere.

Carolyn Marshall (she/her) is a sophomore majoring in media studies with a focus in TV, film and digital production and a minor in English.