student life business & economy

IU freshman wins T-shirt design contest, design to be sold in IMU Bookstore

catshirt121122.jpg

IU freshman Ali Wolf won the Fall 2022 Student Designed T-Shirt Contest after people on campus voted Nov. 11. The new t-shirts with the winning design are available at the bookstore in-person and online.  

“I was surprised that I won, but I was even more surprised when I found out I was a finalist,” Wolf said in the article. “I’m very excited and happy.” 

This contest was in partnership between the IU Bookstore, the Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design and the Office of Business Partnerships, according to an IU News article.  

Related: [ A passion for thrifting leads to clothing companies Hoosier A1 Vintage, Gonzo Hydraulica]

Nearly 60% of votes were toward Wolf’s design, according to the article. Ali Wolf, a studio art graphic design student at Eskenazi, said she wanted to hone her skills to be able to open a design business in the future.  

“The things I have learned in my classes so far have definitely helped,” Wolf said in the article. “I feel like I have expanded my creative palette and really know what catches people’s eyes.” 

Wolf said she thought about what she wanted to see in the bookstore and wanted her design to be fun and capture movement. The final piece is crimson red with the IU logo and Indiana University written in waves.  

Related: [IU seniors’ HotDrop app chosen for Techstars 13-week acceleration program]

IU Students submitted t-shirt designs using Crimson or White print ink from Oct. 17 to Nov. 4. Between Nov. 7 and 8, submissions were filtered down to three finalists, and IU students voted on the design on Nov. 11 through social media. On Dec. 2, Wolf’s design became available for sale in the bookstore in-person and online.  

“The competition provides a wonderful opportunity for our students to engage with the bookstore and share their creative design ideas and passion for IU,” Valerie Gill, associate vice president for the Office of Business Partnerships, said in the article. 

Wolf received a $250 Bookstore gift card and credit on t-shirt marketing materials, according to the article. The second and third-place winners, IU junior Melina Bielski and IU freshman Yonevea Sapcut,  got a $100 Bookstore and $50 Bookstore gift card respectively. Those who submitted designs that followed guidelines received coupons for 25% off an apparel item, according to the IU News article.