Indiana men’s basketball to face Saint Francis in second exhibition game of preseason

spiumbbpreview110222.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball will conclude its preseason slate with an exhibition against the University of Saint Francis at 7 p.m. Thursday at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.  

The Hoosiers are coming off a dominant 78-42 win against Marian University in its first contest of the 2022-23 campaign last Saturday. Senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis and sophomore guard Tamar Bates were sidelined due to precautionary reasons, but other secondary players and newcomers stepped up to lead Indiana to a victory. 

[Related: No TJD? No problem: Back-ups shine in Indiana men’s basketball’s 78-42 win over Marian

Freshman guard Jalen Hood-Schifino and freshman forward Malik Reneau excelled in their debuts, combining for 25 points, 14 rebounds and five assists. Reneau and sophomore center Logan Duncomb both recorded double-doubles in 18 and 22 respective minutes of play.  

Graduate student forward Race Thompson had an abnormally strong shooting performance, knocking down three of four 3-pointers. The Hoosiers as a team shot 42% from beyond the arc. 

Saint Francis is coming off a 94-81 win against the University of Michigan-Dearborn last Thursday. The Cougars’ top performers were graduate student guard Antwaan Cushingberry, who had 26 points and six assists, and sophomore guard Zane Burke, who had a double-double with 23 points and 13 rebounds. 

Saint Francis competes in the Crossroads League — the same conference as Marian. The Cougars finished the 2021-2022 season in third place with a 13-6 record and one spot behind the Knights. Saint Francis advanced to the NAIA postseason tournament at the end of the year but lost in the second round. 

The biggest question on Indiana’s end coming into the matchup is the availability of Jackson-Davis. The All-American was listed as a starter in the preseason game notes, but there’s still a high chance head coach Mike Woodson will continue to keep him out for precautionary reasons, especially for a game that has no effect on Indiana’s record.  

If Jackson-Davis sits this one out, expect another big night from Reneau. He’ll likely go head-to-head with Saint Francis’ 6’7” freshman forward Joe Reidy, who is the only non-guard starter. Reneau’s bully-ball and graceful footwork in the post made him one of the most dominant players on the floor against Marian. 

Thompson and the rest of the team’s shooting is another point of interest, considering the Hoosiers’ 3-point struggles last season. If Thompson, graduate student guard Miller Kopp and freshman guard CJ Gunn can consistently hit from long-range, Indiana will be able to amend a serious woe that has lost them many games in the past.  

Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. from Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, and the game will be broadcast on BTN+. 

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season. 
Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue’s student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 “wins” the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.