bloomington

Here are some Veterans Day events in Bloomington you can attend

caveteran110122.jpg

IU Flag Raising Ceremony 

The IU Army and Air Force ROTC color guard are raising the U.S. flag to thank and remember all those who served in the military in previous years. The event will take place at the flagpole in front of Franklin Hall at 7:30 a.m. Friday, Nov. 11.  After the ceremony, Phillip Zook, a fellow IU Hoosier and U.S. Army combat veteran during the Vietnam War will speak. To RSVP for the event, click here. 

Veterans 5K 

People can participate in the Veterans 5K from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 12. It was organized by Bloomington Parks and Recreation and the Indiana University Wheelchair Basketball Club. The route covers parts of campus, and all ages are encouraged to participate. It costs $30 per person and $25 for military and first responders. Participants must register in advance by Nov. 10 at 5 p.m. People can register here. Day-of registration will happen with remaining space, and participants must pay using credit cards. People who are interested in volunteering can register here. To learn more information, contact Emily Carrico at emily.carrico@bloomington.in.gov.  

Celebration of Service Fundraiser 

My Sister’s Closet is hosting a 1940s-themed event at the American Legion Post #18 from 5:30-9:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12. This event is for adults 21 and older, and it’s in honor of veterans and front-line workers who served during the pandemic. 

My Sister’s Closet is a local non-profit organization that works to give free work force attire and career development resources to low-income and at-risk women applying for jobs. 

The attire for this celebration includes service uniforms, cocktail attire and 1940s items. At the event, attendees can enjoy a cocktail and buffet dinner service. For more information about the menu, visit the event page here. The Shyam Akasha band will be performing swing/jazz songs, and there will be space for dancing. Bloomington comedian Connie Shakalis, as Rosie the Riveter, will be the comedy emcee at the event. Various My Sister’s Closet clients will also share success stories. People can purchase a ticket here or in person at My Sister’s Closet at 414 S. College Ave.  

Guests can also look forward to a silent auction for vacations, art, jewelry, local experiences and an authentic WWII Sheepskin Bomber jacket. Auction items will be posted daily up until the day of the event. Those who can’t attend in person can still bid on items virtually at a $1 fee. The proceeds from the event will go towards My Sister’s Closet community service initiatives