First parent-child duo in IU athletics hall of fame history: Kent and Ashley Benson 

cahalloffame102622.jpg

Alumnus Kent Benson and alumna Ashley Benson are the first parent-child duo to ever be inducted in the IU athletics Hall of Fame. Ashley was recently inducted on Oct. 14, 2022. 

Inducted in 1989, Kent Benson, played basketball for the Hoosiers between 1973 and 1977, is a two time All-American, 1976 NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player and the No. 1 overall pick for the 1977 NBA draft by the Milwaukee Bucks.  

In his junior year season of 1976, Kent helped lead his team to an undefeated season of 32-0. Being a part of such an outstanding team at Indiana University allowed him to gain an even stronger passion for basketball, Kent said.  

“Anytime a person is inducted into the Hall of Fame, especially Indiana University Athletics Hall of Fame, it is a tremendous honor,” Kent said. “I was very fortunate and blessed to play on great teams at IU and be an inductee.” 

Watching his youngest of four daughters Ashley play volleyball, Kent said, he was able to see that Ashley had such a passion for the sport and wanted to become the best at what she did.  

“I started to learn more and more about the game of volleyball when watching Ashley,” Kent said. “It was a lot of fun being able to watch Ashley and seeing her move. It was like déjà vu. I could see myself in her. She put in above and beyond effort into everything she did, especially volleyball.” 

Kent and Ashley, along with being the first ever parent-child duo in hall of fame history, are the only parent-child duo at IU with All-American honors.  

“It finally hit me how huge of a deal that is, because there is only one first,” Kent said. “We both used God-given abilities, and it wasn’t about winning awards it was about striving for excellence. All the effort and success Ashley has had, she deserves this. As her father, I am so blessed and honored to be a part of this recognition.” 

In addition to being part of the first parent-child duo, Ashley is the first ever volleyball player inducted into the Hall of Fame.  

Ashley is IU’s first volleyball player to earn All-American honors twice and made program history in block assists (568), total blocks (629), hitting percentage (.339) and was sixth in kills (1,492) while playing as a middle blocker, according to IU Athletics.  

Ashley played for Indiana volleyball during the seasons of 2007-2010 and said being a part of the team changed her life forever.  

“Overall, my experience was amazing because we had a lot of support,” Ashley said. “I was dreading the day when my volleyball career at Indiana would come to an end, so every game I would try to play like it was my last and put my whole heart into it.” 

Growing up listening to her dad's stories about Indiana and his experience as an athlete, Ashley said his passion and enthusiasm has influenced her whole life.  

“My dad has a humongous impact on my career and choice to even go to Indiana,” Ashley said. “Indiana is where my heart is, and I knew I wanted to go to where I could be successful and also help the university be successful.” 

It was Scott Dolson, vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics, who called Ashley to let her know she was inducted, Ashley said.  

“Once I got the call, I was so excited to tell my dad,” Ashley said. “My dad kept telling me how proud he was, and it was so nice hearing my dad saying how proud he was. My final dream was to be inducted into the hall of fame. So now I’m in a weird spot, all my dreams have come true.” 

Mark Deal, assistant athletic director for alumni relations, said the process for choosing who is inducted into the Hall of Fame is done by an anonymous committee.  

“The nominations go out into the spring to any athletes who have earned a letter as an athlete at IU,” Deal said. “Those nominations are forwarded to an anonymous committee that then chooses the slate for each year, which consists of six inductees.  

Knowing all the accomplishments Ashley and Kent both have achieved, Deal said he is proud for both of them.  

“It is a great history made with Ashley and her dad,” Deal said. “I know he is very proud of her, and she is very proud of her father. It is a tremendous, tremendous honor for the Benson’s.”