administration

IU student trustee application now open until Dec. 2

catrustee091522.jpg

The IU student trustee application is now open to IU undergraduates and graduate students. Those applying must be full-time students while they serve the two-year term for the position, spanning from July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2025. 

The board is responsible for the budget and long-term direction of the university, according to the IU trustee interest page. Student trustees have the same responsibilities and rights as the other trustees. They must participate in a minimum of six board meetings per year, take part in other ceremonies and university functions, and complete any assigned projects.  

Related: [Places around IU no longer considered namesakes for David Starr Jordan

Applicants must be able to perform all their responsibilities as the student trustee without negatively impacting their education, according to the IU trustee website.  

To apply, students must submit several personal statements, a resume and a letter of recommendation. Applications are available online or applicants can request a paper copy if they contact the board. All applications are due Dec. 2. 

Related: [Vivian Winston wins Board of Trustee election

After applications are submitted, the Student Trustee Search and Screen Committee will select applicants to interview. Afterward, the committee will forward 10 candidate names to the Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who will appoint the student trustee.   

The student trustee position is a rare opportunity that allows students to work closely with IU leadership and All University Student Association, which was founded to facilitate conversations about university wide student issues, according to the IU trustee website.