sports women's soccer

Indiana women's soccer freshmen provide flare, but fail to finish in another scoreless draw

spiuwsballstatesidebar082522.jpg

Three matches into the Indiana women’s soccer 2022 season, and the team still hasn’t scored or conceded a goal. The Hoosiers drew 0-0 to Ball State University Thursday night in Bloomington. 

Even though the match wasn’t played at Bill Armstrong Stadium due to unplayable field conditions, Indiana had the opportunity to put one in the back of the net given how many shots they had. 

Indiana had a season-high 12 shots in the match, and six of them came from freshmen. Defenders Arianna Rose and Natasha Kim, midfielder Izzy Smith and forward Sarah Sirdah were the four Indiana first-year players that recorded shots. Rose and Smith both had two while the others had one.

In the 57th minute, Rose was subbed off due to an injury while trying to be aggressive in the opposing half. Rose was responsible for the only two shots on goal Sunday against Virginia Tech University

“I think it is her ankle,” head coach Erwin van Bennekom said after the game. “I think she will be good.” 

Indiana started the match off slow, but picked up the pace in the second half, with eight of its 12 shots coming in the final 45 minutes. Both of the Hoosiers’ shots on goal came in the second half, but neither beat Cardinal sophomore goalkeeper Bethany Moser. One of those shots on target came from Smith, who stepped into a shot from outside the box, leading to a diving save from Moser. 

[Related: Indiana women’s soccer unable to capitalize offensively in 0-0 draw versus Ball State]

Smith and Sirdah were unafraid to shoot from anywhere, something the team did not possess last year. Last year’s players lacked confidence in the attacking third, evidenced by high passing numbers and low shooting numbers. 

The Hoosiers' hunger to score is evident by the freshmen's style of play, considering Indiana hasn’t scored a goal in over 697 minutes of play dating back to last season. Having the confidence to shoot the ball and not be embarrassed with the result is something senior midfielder Alaina Kalin talked about during the team’s media day before the first exhibition match, played on August 6. 

Indiana will have a week off and attempt to snap its seven-game scoreless streak at 7 p.m. next Thursday at home against Indiana State University.