Black Voices

Chadwick Boseman’s work continues to be nominated posthumously

bvchadwicklegacy081422.jpg

Chadwick Boseman has once again been posthumously nominated for an award, this time at the 74th Emmy awards for his voice acting work in the Marvel animated series “What If…?”  He voices King T’Challa,  the Black Panther, in the series. 

His iconic character appears in four episodes, with Boseman starring as the King of Wakanda in episode two. He was nominated for Outstanding Voiceover Performance for this episode, which was the last time he was able to voice the character before he died in 2020. His work continues to be recognized years later.

The nominations were released in early July and the awards ceremony will take place in September.

The late actor was also nominated posthumously for an Academy Award in 2021 for his role as Levee in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.” He did not win the controversial award for best actor. Boseman still won quite a few awards for his leading performance in the film, earning a posthumous Critics Choice Award for best actor, a Screen Actors Guild Award for lead actor and a Golden Globe for ‘best actor in a drama.’

If these nominations and awards indicate anything at all, they point to the inspiration Boseman was and continues to be, especially for Black audience members. Looking back on his contributions to film and television, his impact on audiences and those he worked with alike stands out. 

Many of his fellow cast members and directors remember him as a brilliant light, enthusiastic and joyful in his work. In a 2020 Guardian interview following Boseman’s death, Davis said the late actor would live in memory as a hero, though not just because of his role as the Black Panther. 

“I associate that with his authenticity, especially in the midst of a profession that sometimes can suck that out of you," she said.

As representation for people of color increases in all areas of filmmaking, his work illustrates Black excellence and refuses to be ignored or forgotten.

As the 2022 Emmy Awards approach this fall, both Marvel fans and fans of the actor himself wait to see if his performance will once again be met with the praise it deserves.