student govt

Application now open for students interested in running for the 2022-2023 IUSG Congress

cacongress082822.jpg

IU-Bloomington students who are interested in representing and advocating for student rights and improving the lives of IU students can apply to be in Congress. To apply go onto IU Student Government’s website. The deadline for the application is 11:59 p.m. on Aug. 30.  

There are 62 available academic and residential seats. Thirty-one of them are academic, and the other 31 are residential. There are nine academic districts and six residential districts, according to IUSG’s website. Each district has a certain number of seats that can be filled.  

The academic districts consist of the College of Arts and Sciences, Kelley School of Business, Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering, O’Neill School of Public Health and Environmental Affairs, Jacobs School of Music, School of Education, Schools of Public Health, Nursing, and Social Work, all graduate and professional degrees and university division/other undergraduate. 

[Related: IU Student Government to provide free emergency contraceptives

The residential districts consist of on-campus apartments, Greek housing, on-campus central housing, on-campus northwest housing, on-campus southeast housing and off-campus housing.  

To be eligible to apply, people must be currently enrolled at IU Bloomington, be a constituent for the Congressional district they are applying for and not already be a candidate for a different Congressional district in this election.  

Students must have a 2.5 GPA or higher on a 4-point scale and currently not be on any academic probation or suspension.  

[Related: IU Student Government optimistic about IU’s plans to address climate change concerns] 

As well as not be responsible for violating a violent code violation, defined by IU student code.  

According to the website, congress representatives are elected every fall and serve one-year terms. Representatives elected this year will serve from October 2022 to September 2023.  

To find out more about the election timeline and roles and responsibilities of being in congress, interested students can visit IUSG’s website to find the Fall 2022 Campaign Guide and the IUSG Bylaws.