Harlem Gospel Travelers to perform Aug. 3 at Buskirk-Chumley Theater

<p>Harlem Gospel Travelers will perform at 8 p.m. Aug. 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. M Ross Perkins will open the show.</p>

Harlem Gospel Travelers will perform at 8 p.m. Aug. 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. M Ross Perkins will open the show.

Gospel band Harlem Gospel Travelers will perform at 8 p.m. Aug. 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are available on the venue’s website. Reserved orchestra pit tickets are $34 and regular reserved seating is $24.

M Ross Perkins will open the show. His recently released psychedelic pop album, “E Pluribus M Ross,” has 12 tracks.

The three members of the Harlem Gospel Travelers come from different boroughs of New York City but developed their style in Harlem, the center of African-American culture, according to the BCT website.

“When everything was stripped away, all we had left was the music,” singer Thomas Gatling said. “Difficult as it was, we realized that God was opening a door, and it was up to us to walk on through to the other side.”

Their latest album, “He’s On Time,” is their first original and full-length release as a trio. 

With modern aspects, the gospel group pulls from traditions of the ‘50s and ‘60s.

“Gospel’s at the root of everything,” Gatling said. “Country, folk, rock, soul, blues; we love it all, and it’s all in there.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.